Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure where to put this. You should have a "long shot from a mechanic section." Although I did clean my carbs by myself today and it started right up, pretty proud of that lol. So I got my bike up and running the other day took about a mile ride from the house heard a loud noise thought it was the brake drum housing I was getting ready to tighten my drive chain and notice this Bolt sticking out. The first picture is on the left side right behind the front foot Peg. Whatever I heard the other day must have something to do with this somebody please tell me what the hell it's for what I'm missing if you need more pictures please tell me . The noise I heard was a very loud metal flying sound I thought it was the rod in the brake drum when I first heard it. My brakes did start going to the floor after that now my front and rear brakes squeak. I have almost no rear brakes and front are about half a pad left but also squeaking and I have the bike parked and I'm not moving it until I figure out what this is

Edit: is the last picture what I'm looking at?

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would make sense, but how did it get loose? would anything else fly off when it came loose

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also why would my rear brakes start "going to the floor" right after said loud noise.?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Your "loud noise" and brake issues may be separate from the bolt. Given the age of your bike and your description of the front pads it sounds like time to replace the front pads and rear shoes. In the process you will also inspect and repair the entire brake system.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Considering that the torque on that nut/bolt is 33-43 foot pounds I'd be thinking it's time to go over every nut and bolt of this bike to see what else the PO never tightened properly. I suspect the majority of nuts and bolts are less than tight. I would not ride it again until I did this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes JT I have the factory service manual

Long-distance Rider, trust me that scared me enough when I saw it that that's exactly what I'm doing tomorrow tearing the bike down to the frame and inspecting Nuts and Bolts will the FSM have all of the torque specifications?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should I replace those washers and nut with new brass metric nut

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The fasteners are all steel, the gold color is yellow chromate zinc coating for corrosion resistance.
All of the nuts and bolts are what's called JIS instead of SAE or DIN. JIS gives you the smaller heads of nuts/bolts. IE; an 10mm bolt in JIS is a 14mm wrench but in SAE/DIN it's 17mm which can cause clearance issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts