Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a 71 CL450 over the winter as a project and added a Pamco ignition unit. The other day the weather was finally nice enough to take it for a ride, it worked great until the next time I went to fire it up and all it did was cranked but would not fire. After pulling the spark plugs and determining there was no spark I checked the kill switch, made sure I had power at the distributors, and have power at the boards which sit where the points use to be. Where do I go from here trouble shooting wise to see if the issue is with the Pamco unit,if both my distributors have failed (one is new) or if there is something else going on. I reached out to Pamco, but haven’t gotten any response, was hoping someone may have had a similar issue before and could help shine some light on possible problems. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What is your location? Perhaps one of us will be able to help, if we are close enough to drop by.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
.. strange to hear.. the local Moto shop here swears by Pamco ignitions... I asked because I am looking to purchase a E.I. for my 2 cb450s

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You can try opening up the blue e-advancer box and check for continuity from the pickup sensors (where the points were) to the e-advancer board.
I have found that the tiny gauged wiring is delicate enough that a break could occur, especially around the solder joints.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can try opening up the blue e-advancer box and check for continuity from the pickup sensors (where the points were) to the e-advancer board.
I have found that the tiny gauged wiring is delicate enough that a break could occur, especially around the solder joints.
Good call, just ran out and tried that, rang out every wire, and everything has continuity. Everything appeared normal as well.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Check to see if the coils are getting power and ground. I have been running PAMCO's for over 2 years on the first non e advance ones and 4 years on the e advance ones on my 450K6 and 500T with no problems.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Might be a more recent manufacturing issue. Mine never got to a point where it worked on more than one cylinder at a time. If you want to be able to ride it, putting the points back on has a 100% rate of fixing PAMCO problems, and then when Pete gets back to you with a replacement, put it back on and away you go.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Not sure about Pamco, but I know some aftermarket E.I.s are sensitive to "lower than normal voltage" on batteries.. I know points will fire with almost nothing.. as long as the coils can create a charge...
What does your battery and charging system look like?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure about Pamco, but I know some aftermarket E.I.s are sensitive to "lower than normal voltage" on batteries.. I know points will fire with almost nothing.. as long as the coils can create a charge...
What does your battery and charging system look like?
Battery is new, and is fully charged, I put it on a charger after finding the no spark issue hoping it would solve the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check to see if the coils are getting power and ground. I have been running PAMCO's for over 2 years on the first non e advance ones and 4 years on the e advance ones on my 450K6 and 500T with no problems.
Coils are receiving power and are properly grounded. How can I troubleshoot to see if its a coil issue or an issue with the PAMCO unit, I assume one of those are where my problems may be. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Check the coils and then check the plug wires and caps for looseness and/or cracks. Replace as needed.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Coils are receiving power and are properly grounded. How can I troubleshoot to see if its a coil issue or an issue with the PAMCO unit, I assume one of those are where my problems may be. Thank you.
A timing light would flash with each pulse, on the coils, the black wire would be hot and yellow to one coil and blue to the other coil would be the pulsed ground. The PAMCO sends the pulsed ground to the coils and the ignition switch sends power through the kill switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, coils are solid to the frame mounts. Condenser is disconnected (dont see the need for it now) Checked primary and secondary circuits on coils they are in spec.
With this said, Im assuming the coils are able to send spark, just not receiving input to do so? Whats next on the list to check, Im about out of ideas, I have checked and rechecked connections grounds etc. Thanks

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Refer to the instructions: Welcome to the PAMCO CB450 Installation Guide
12V power goes to the controller (blue box), which provides a lower Voltage (~5V) to the two sensors via the red wires. The sensors send the timing reference pulse back to the controller via the green (lower) and green-white (upper) wires. The controller sends the timed signal to the coils via the other green and white wires. If you are careful, you should be able to read the lower Voltage at the sensors; don't leave the run/stop switch on long, because one of the controller outputs could be on, and overheat the coil. When a coil is off, there should be near 12V on the green or white wire from the controller/coil connection. You should also verify the black wires at the sensors go to ground through the controller. Just be sure you do not short any of the wires at the sensors, or the controller will likely be damaged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick update,
Received a new pamco unit under warranty, thanks Pete!
Both secondary and primary coil paths are in spec, good thing since both coils are new.
Battery has a good charge, stays on a tender now.
Power at coils drop to about 8.7 V when cranking.
All contacts cleaned, rectifier/regulator etc.
Of course triple checked wiring, everything has voltage where it should (it seems)

Unfortunately still no spark.

Where would be suggested to go from here?
Any reason to purchase a new regulator rectifier?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I don't recall if you said your rectifier and regulator are OEM ones. If they are then yes I would absolutely replace those with a modern all in one unit like Kohler or one from Sparckmoto
Else you can check the stator too to make sure it's putting out the right amount of voltage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts