Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I managed to find a somewhat decent upper exhaust for my scrambler. There are a couple "quarter" sized holed that need repair. Anyone have experience with this repair and could give me pointers? I think it's 400 stainless but I'm not positive.

3ba0fc62-a559-40ed-90db-8c88987c1f9a.jpg b4e2cf16-5644-48b3-90d9-405368b83047.jpg

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
I believe it is chromed mild steel....... So Chromium and Steel are present ......Possibly Nickel and Copper as well

·
Registered
641 Posts
I believe it is chromed mild steel....... So Chromium and Steel are present ......Possibly Nickel and Copper as well
66Sprint is right, mild steel coated with copper, nickel and chrome. Be very careful, it is very thin from condensation rotting it from the inside. You would be better off to buy some thin guage mild steel. You can find some at any home fix it place. Cut a patch big enough to cover large area. To get away from the thinned out area. Closer to welds on muffler is thickest area.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
Did you already start welding?, you need to pull heat sheilds. And wire brush, sand and clean the area throughly. When your ready to tackle it, let us know. But the best welds need clean surfaces to make them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Another good reason to just buy some plain sheet steel at ace or some place like it. And practice welding butt joint welds, it is a good confidence builder. Thin steel is hard, dirty rusty thin steel can be a unbelieveable challange. But a cheap lil wire feed can do a very good job. It just takes practice and paitence, and a little confidence to do it.
Best regards.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I would borrow a torch and braze some patches over the holes, takes a lot less heat. When you get that rusted out area hot enough to gas/arc weld, those rust holes are likely to get a lot bigger in a hurry.

Reactions: Brent

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
If you can find someone to do it, I'd try to have some stainless steel patches brazed over the holes.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Bud if you do grind on it, use something small and light. Easy to contol like a dremel with a sanding drum on it.
If it was me, i would just get some testors silver paint. Cover the welds with paint so they dont rust. Put it on and ride it.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
My CL175 can had rotted out around the bottom drain hole. I've recently bought myself a Mig welder, and this was pretty much my first attempt at welding something for real.

I used a flap wheel in my angle grinder to remove the chrome plating around the repair area, and cut a patch from 1.2 mm mild steel. Finished result isn't pretty, but it's hidden under the heatshield, and is holding up fine so far.

20190128_152504.jpg 20190128_152934.jpg 20190202_205917.jpg

I then painted it with heat proof paint. Wish now I'd used black rather than grey. Also welded on a new exhaust outlet, cut off from a Triumph scrambler can.

20190220_144623.jpg

Reactions: chaindrivecharlie

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not sure how it will work but I am going to try the high temp jb weld on a bad spot on my 68 cl350 upper exhaust.
I agree with one of the posters that brazing would be a good approach in this situation from what I can remember of my metal trades days in high school.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I've brazed patches on cracked two stroke mufflers before with brass. Id like to try some of the lower melting temp silver brazing alloys on something like this. You could probably go with a stainless patch, but the heat might still wreck some of its corrosion resistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts