Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I posted this in my 'project' log, but it's buried in there so I wanted to ask about it here as well.

Bike = 1970 CL-350 (K2). I'm in need of two of part# 17213-286-000 (Honda calls it a TUBE). They are small pieces of rubber that connect each air cleaner to the circular steel tube that runs under the battery box (thereby allowing the air cleaners to be connected to each other).

Here's what one looks like attached to the frame (view looking down from the top of the battery box). It's the round rubber thing visible.

Here's what one looks like attached to an air cleaner. You can see why I need new ones! All those fumes from the battery must have helped destroy mine.

Here's what the air cleaner looks like with the part missing.

Any thoughts on a replacement. I've tried literally EVERYWHERE I can think of. None of the websites that list them on their parts pages have them or can get them. Nothing on e-bay anywhere. I'm stumped. I ordered 'new' air cleaners for the sides, but now need a way to connect them up properly. Of course the holes in the air cleaners and the holes on the frame don't seem to be the same sizes, which means a hose and clamps might not work. I'm thinking maybe some kind of plumbing part might work? (reducer of some sort?)

I don't suppose air cleaners come with these? I doubt it given that Honda had a separate part number listed for them.

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking into a work-around......rather than try to connect the cleaners to the central tube under the battery box with fancy reducers, it just occurred to me that I should be able to connect them directly together if I can find 6" of the perfect-sized hose (fit it to one cleaner, pass it through the central metal tube and plug it into the other cleaner directly. 1 1/4" ID x 1/4" wall tube should work) If I can find the right hose it should be better than OEM since there's fewer connections to fail.

Still, if you know where I can get those OEM parts....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well..that was my suggestion as well. Bet you could just possibly find a radiator hose that would fit it and then cut it to length and do away with the metal pipe altogether?
Id just take it to my favorite auto parts store. I know mine here would let me try and find one that would fit.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
What I did on my 350 Scrambler was buy a section of radiator hose that fit snugly over the air flilter connection on the ID. I cut thin sections for each side and the face bumped into and sealed against the connecting tube. Works great and very inexpensive.
Don Slicker

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trublu said:
Well..that was my suggestion as well. Bet you could just possibly find a radiator hose that would fit it and then cut it to length and do away with the metal pipe altogether?
Id just take it to my favorite auto parts store. I know mine here would let me try and find one that would fit.
We think alike. I got some radiator hose, but the outer diameter is just too big to go through the metal tube. I could remove it, but have decided to hold off for now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dlslick said:
What I did on my 350 Scrambler was buy a section of radiator hose that fit snugly over the air flilter connection on the ID. I cut thin sections for each side and the face bumped into and sealed against the connecting tube. Works great and very inexpensive.
Don Slicker
Good suggestion. I might still go that route.

I found a $1 part of fixing toilets that seems to work. It fits tightly over the cleaner and tapers a bit so that it'll seal against the metal tube when the rod is connected between the two sides. Not quite as fancy as the original part, but I think it'll work.

Failing that, I'll jam a piece of tube into the connector as you suggest. That should work.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
The fact that it wont go through the metal tube is a good thing. You want to cut the pieces the correct thickness so that they "run into" and seal against those tubes on the frame that the old part slipped over.
Wish I could draw on this page. The hose is cut in pieces about 1/2" thick, they then go over the tube on the air filter and when that tube goes into the tube on the frame the hose goes up against the edge of the tube on the frame.
Don

Reactions: aluokkala

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dlslick said:
The fact that it wont go through the metal tube is a good thing. You want to cut the pieces the correct thickness so that they "run into" and seal against those tubes on the frame that the old part slipped over.
Wish I could draw on this page. The hose is cut in pieces about 1/2" thick, they then go over the tube on the air filter and when that tube goes into the tube on the frame the hose goes up against the edge of the tube on the frame.
Don
I've just spent the past hour trying to get a piece of hose over the tube on the air filter and INSIDE the tube on the frame (I can find pieces that go over the former or into the other, but not both - at least not in a way that allows me to fit the cleaner on well). When I compare my various hoses to the original part, I think I might just need a bigger hose (I'm using 1 1/4" ID with 1 5/8" OD) I think I'll look for a 1 1/2" ID piece of rad hose or something. That way it should still fit ok over the filter, but it might fit snugly against the tube on the frame.....I hope? If I could find tubes with a wall thickness of 1/8" (rather than 1/4" thick) this would be a lot easier.

Stay tuned.....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
A strip of weatherstripping (foam) tape placed on the actual air cleaner will compress and seal against the cross tube...that's all you need.... Just make a donut....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
66Sprint said:
A strip of weatherstripping (foam) tape placed on the actual air cleaner will compress and seal against the cross tube...that's all you need.... Just make a donut....
:lol: That's so simple it's GENIUS! I'm certain that would work. Leave it to me (and Honda) to over-engineer a solution.

In the meantime, I solved the problem! I found a 1 1/4" rubber fitting that works when cut down ($3 each). It fits on almost the exact same way as the original. The cleaner pushes in easily, but there's enough tension to hold it in place without the screw - probably fits better than the original part.

Thanks everyone! Now on to the next crisis :D

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
The weatherstripping idea is exactly what I did with my thin pcs of radiator hose. The hose went over the tube on the air filter but didn't go into the tube on the frame, it sealed against the face of the tube. The edge. It didnt go inside or outside of it it went against the edge like what is being suggested with the weatherstripping. The neat thing about the hose being used that way is that it is already a doughnut......... DOOOOOUGHNNUUUUUTS .
I am out of here.... I need a doughnut. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dlslick said:
The weatherstripping idea is exactly what I did with my thin pcs of radiator hose. The hose went over the tube on the air filter but didn't go into the tube on the frame, it sealed against the face of the tube. The edge. It didnt go inside or outside of it it went against the edge like what is being suggested with the weatherstripping. The neat thing about the hose being used that way is that it is already a doughnut......... DOOOOOUGHNNUUUUUTS .
I am out of here.... I need a doughnut. :)
:lol: Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Just a heads up, but the weather stripping adhesive tape will compress over time and perhaps compromise the air flow. I only say this because I noticed the weather stripping tape I used in my tach and speedo base plates aint so great anymore...and it hasnt even been riden yet...perhaps I should just find a higher density stripping...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The place I used to work at had a weatherstripping for heavy industrial equipment that was more of a foam rubber than just foam.. It held it's shape very well over time, down to sub-zero temps..

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts