Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cl350 that the PO stripped out the Phillips head of the screws for the small engine inspection cover on the right side of the motor. This is the small round cover that is held on with three screws near the rear brake pedal. Which Phillips bit fits these screws the best? I use to have a small hammer impact that would fit these but it went missing. I think the Japanese Phillips is a little different size. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them out? Does anyone know where you can still get a good hammer impact that will fit these screws? Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The screws are JIS not SAE Philips. That's the main problem with these screws. Take #3 Philips bit and drive it into the screw head so it get a firm bite. Then add the impact driver and smack it.
Here's a source and explanation of the differences https://rhinotools.com.au/product/jis-impact-screwdriver-bits/

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the screws does not have anything but a round hole where the Phillips used to be. It is a mess. I may have to use some type of extractor. I am going to order one of those JIS bit drivers to use on the other two screws. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
1/4" drill bit in a drill, drill just deep enough for the head to fall off. Then remove cover and the leftover screw with vice grips or plyers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Try to chisel a slot into the bad one and use a straight blade. If that doesn't work the get a left hand drill bit 1/4". That's a little larger than the 6mm screw. When you drill the head of the screw, using a reversible drill, you will end up drilling the head of the screw off so then the cover can be pulled over the remains and then you can work on removing the screw. If you're lucky the heat and vibration will cause the screw to back out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
a few of mine I drilled just enough so the head popped off. Then I removed the cover I was trying to take off. When you drill JUST the head of the bolt off it leaves some of the threaded part of the bolt sticking out the casing when you remove the cover. You should be able to get vice grips on the remaining part of the bolt and get them out.

***MAKE SURE YOUR DRILL BIT IS THE SAME DIAMETER OR A TOUCH SMALLER THAN THE THREADED PART OF THE BOLT

I've never made a "how to" on this because I get seriously annoyed when bolts strip hahahaha. But I replaced every bolt I've removed so far with the kit Common Motor sells. They're a nice "Allen" style head.

just be slow and careful as you're drilling. It's patient work. hope this helps.

·
Registered
288 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bernzomatic-ST250K-6-in-1-Butane-Micro-Torch-Kit/17202376

This has made this job a lot easier for me especially on bikes. Allows you to surgically apply heat and in some cases barely affect paint. Those stubborn rusty headlight screws, honda case screws etc. Really doesn't take a lot but never fails to free 'em right up. Then twist with a chisel or if it takes a light tap etc... If you can heat the case around the screw a little thats better, if not heat the screw head.

Then change 'em to stainless recessed hex, with neverseize.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts