Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
i want to remove the main stand to strip it and paint it but i can't get the thing off.
so far i have:
1) removed the spring on the right
2) removed the cotter pin on the left
3) have tried to pound the pivot pipe through but it won't budge

any thoughts? the metal on the pipe is soft too...if i hit it too hard it changes shape.
what am i doing wrong?
thanks so much
eric

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
MOST Hondas have two pinch type areas under the frame...You have to remove the pinch bolts, and may have to "pry" the clamps a bit open.... Also, the stand pivot tube is often the rear brake lever pivot as well, you'll need to remove ALL spring tensions..... It would help to know what size/model bike you are working on....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! i did try prying those pinches open but not budging! i believe the stand on the model i have (1970 CB 350) does not interconnect with the rear brake at all.
thanks again
eric

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just removed the center stand on my 360 a couple of weeks go. You have to undo the rear brake rod so the brake pedal moves out of the way to give you clearance to push the center stand pipe out the right side of the bike. If you already did this, never mind.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
PRY FURTHER.... That's all that holds it in once you take out the cotter...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will try that...when i move the stand back and forth the pivot pipe moves with it. shouldn't that be free of it and separate. do you think that being that the bike is approaching 40 years old it is fused with grime and who knows what. i have hit it really hard on the left to pop it out the right and it will not budge!
thank you all
eric

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Will it rotate? Perhaps there is a lip stopping the tube from sliding through? Try penetrating oil and rotations and definately pry the 2 clamps open much more.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
On occaision, the tube rusts so tightly into the stand it must be cut to remove both from the frame......Sometimes, a "bath" of MSR wicked into the joint by a soaked/wrapped rag will eventually free it...but not always.... Good luck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts