Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone
i have a 1970 cb 350 and one of the elbows coming from the bottom of the gas tank that the crossover fuel line attaches to broke off. aside from welding it does anyone know of any easier repairs for this? can i put a rubber gasket with sealer and a nipple to attach the crossover line to?
thanks so much
eric

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would take it to the welder and have him braze the piece back on.
Let your tank air dry until all the fumes are gone before welding or do it with a full tank of water.

·
Registered
785 Posts
wilco_eric said:
thanks! what exactly does brazing mean/entail?
It is like welding only done with brass and a torch.
If done properly, you will hardly see the weld.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Brazing is non-fusion joining of metals. It's like soldering, but very much stronger. It's pretty easy to do, but a fuel tank isn't the place to start learning. A radiator shop can fix it for you, probably a better place to take it than a welding shop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks so much! do any of you know where i can get a replacement elbow for the crossover? aside from getting another gas tank and pulling it off that is? can you buy just those somewhere? mine is full of something that nothing will get out not even a drill! must be old metal....it will not budge!
thanks!!!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Get a piece of steel brakeline at the auto parts store...They may even lend you the tool to curve it without kinking it.......

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That brake line will be galvanized and be hard to weld or braze on with decent results Steve. I've got a lot of personal experience with exactly that. I made that RC rock crawler from automotive brake line and brazing and welding is nearly impossible. If he can burn off the galvanizing first then it's a possibility.. It's very thick on there though!

Unless he can find some stainless line... Might be a little bit easier.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Hard (nigh impossible) to weld I'll grant you.... If it's being brazed, he could also use 1/4 copper tubing and bronze rod (like they do for refrigerant systems).........
If it comes down to it, I'll cut one off a damaged tank for him..... :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a feeling that if you take the tank to a radiator shop and tell them what you want done, they'll take care of the job - that you want a duplicate of the existing tube attached to the other side of the tank. Commercial refrigeration services (not dealers - although they could tell you where to go) hadn't even occurred to me - They would also be very well equipped, tubing, technique and all, to fix your tank.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i truly appreciate all this very thoughtful input. do either of you have one on an old tank that you could take off and send me. i'd buy it from you. i would prefer not to buy a whole tank as i could put that money towards other things i need for the bike.
again, thank you, really!
eric

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You may have trouble getting someone to do it for you. A lot of places will take one look, and say "it's a fuel tank, I'm not touching that". There is a shop out there that'll do it though. A radiator repair shop would be my guess on who'd actually attempt it..

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts