Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm trying to do as much as I can by myself but I'm stuck and my build has ground to a halt.
I have a 1970 CL450 I'm restoring from the ground up. I am at the point where I have the frame, rear suspension and wheel on and am moving to the front. This is where the problem is.
I decided for the build I wanted to upgrade the front forks from the double spring early type to the single spring with the rod action. So I bought:
1972-74 lower triple (not used - I bought just in case I needed it)
1974 CB/CL forks
1974 CB/CL angled gauge bracket

I vapor honed and polished the forks, installed new racetech linear springs, new oil, new hardware and rubber/seals. I had the original lower triple tree and upper bridge powered coated. I assembled everything except forks installing tapered bearings. Now I find that looks like the forks do NOT fit the upper triple bridge. Seem to fit fine in the lower steering stem. I spent awhile researching and figured out I need a new top bridge which is hard to find. I even looked at Congnito Moto and other places that do new replacements but I want to keep the bike as original as possible. Looking on eBay the top bridges I'm looking for are WAY to expensive and not many choices. So I'm hoping I can get good advice here on how to move forward:

1) What other models/years are compatible with my original top bridge besides a CB? I'm sure Honda reused these across other models
2) Is there any other parts I'm going to need that I don't realize? I'm thinking the front fender MAYBE but it's hard to tell from the online schematics...

I've spent a lot of time and money on bringing the triple tree and forks back to life so I'm trying to find the quickest and cheapest way to get a compatible top bridge. I'm assuming whatever I get I will have to blast and powder coat to match the rest of the bike.

Thanks in advance for the help. It's killing me that I didn't realize this in the beginning but you learn from your mistakes I just need to figure this out quickly so I can move ahead with the build...

DW

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's some pics. My '74 fork tops do not fit into the upper bridge - as you can see the '70 ones have a smaller top neck that buts up into the top bridge and then the for nut screws down from above holding them in place. Looks like the '74 forks have to slide up through a top bridge and then be pinched tight.

Pictures are one '70 fork on bench next to the '74 and also I held them each up to the triple.

Shock absorber Suspension part Suspension Auto part Suspension part Suspension Auto part Coil spring Shock absorber Auto part Metal Metal Vehicle Auto part Tire Car Wheel

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You will need a newer model fork top bridge, to go with those forks. The older CB450 used similar fork tubes as your originals, but changed to the newer style before the K3. I don't have the date before me as to when the change was made. But, my data shows the top bridge for the CL changed with the K5 model; that doesn't mean some late K4s didn't have the newer bridge and forks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will need a newer model fork top bridge, to go with those forks. The older CB450 used similar fork tubes as your originals, but changed to the newer style before the K3. I don't have the date before me as to when the change was made. But, my data shows the top bridge for the CL changed with the K5 model; that doesn't mean some late K4s didn't have the newer bridge and forks.
Yup I know that. I'm wondering if anyone knows what other models/years are compatible (CB450s, CB500t, etc) so I can expand my search as I'm finding nothing out there for sale for a CL top bridge.

Thanks~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts