Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a 77 KZ400 for a fall project bike. The good news is that fired right up after replacing the spark plug boots and putting a little gas in it.

Bad news is that the wires to the battery began to melt this afternoon when I tried to start it up. I replaced those wires and checked the harness and everything seemed to be fine. But when I reattached the battery, I immediately got a spark on the terminals. I traced the issue back to the white/red wire coming from the rectifier. For some reason, I'm getting continuity between that wire and ground. Can anyone shed light on this and what I should do?

When I leave that wire unplugged and only connect the battery to the white harness wire and grounds, the bike starts up fine -- no short at all. But clearly the white/red going into the rectifier is an issue. Help?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
If the colouring of red/white means anything I would think that is suppose to be going to the battery + and not ground (-)

And if so it sounds like you have a bad rectifier to me.

Of course I have no experience with the KZ400 so take what I said with a grain of salt.
Do you have a wiring diagram for this bike?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The diagram is attached above. The white definitely goes to positive. I guess there must be a diode on that terminal that normally prevents the white from grounding out? I just ordered a radio shack type 3 phase regulator so I'll report back on whether it makes an improvement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts