Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I set the timing static method, now I have new problems. 1: She starts hard ( I have to give it some throttle to get it started but too much and it won't, also too much throttle to quick bogs it out too, after she turns over if slowly reach full open she'll only get to 1100rpms and the first few starts didnt even go that high ) 2: she won't idle 3:she won't get above 1100rpms at full throttle. she''ll run for a few minutes as long i I hold the throttle then it spits and dies. (maybe the sea foam I wet soaked the engine in is causing this??? there seems to be a little getting on the plugs but less now after a few restarts)
Should I still be looking at timing issues or Carb issues????? :?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
have you cleaned and/or rebuilt the carbs yet?....Sounds like fuel supply to me...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I'd look into Steve's suggestion but I can say this: Seafoam DOES NOT LIKE TO BURN. It WILL bog down your engine when put through the fuel system. BUT, you should be able to rev it to "clean it out" so you've obviously got other problems..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks but it looks like my issue is still timing. My Advancer is broken. It seems the advancer sleeve has broken loose of the advancer itself allowing the advancer to move back and forth. Its looks as if it was held together by a copper weld. Hopefully this can be repaired. Can this be soldered with acid core solder? or maybe I can paint on a thin layer of JB weld? or some kind of metal epoxy? Anyone ever run across this before?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The advance unit sleeve DOES move independant of the base...Got pix?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry no pics yet. Everthing I take is too big a file. But I'm not speaking of the sleeve that rotates when the advancer kicks out. It's the part that sticks out of the advancer that that sleeve goes over. It has seperated from the backing plate of the advancer

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Ahhhh.... So you need a replacement advance unit..... What three digit number is stamped on yours?.... I may have one....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hot Dog! I'm up and running again. JB Weld proves it's worth once again! I put my "Rebuilt" advancer in, took about 2 minutes playing with the points plate to tweak the left left side timing (the right checked perfect time), One kick and Blammo she's alive. :D
Still wouldn't mind buying a viable replacement though ;)
Thanks all for the feedback and all the great info available here I couldn't have deduced my problem without it. :D

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I'd be looking to get a replacement, either from Steve or elsewhere if he doesn't have one. I suspect that JBweld won't hold up too long...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went for first test ride today. 15miles and FOT. Re-inspected my rebuilt advancer and all is good
Definitely still looking for a replacement advancer for (The Wife's) ultimate piece of mind, but I'm pretty confident that the JB Weld is gonna hold up. The part that's "glued" isn't really under any stress, the part was actually holding itself together, the Jb weld is basically just stopping it from tweaking forward a couple of mils and throwing the timing off. Crazy glue or tape would've worked if it could hold up to the heat. I'll get around to resizing and posting some pics soon so y'all see what I'm talking about. I have this nagging feeling that my situation was entirely unique.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Got two....Can send just a baseplate and column for $10....Whole unit for $25....Plus shipping of course....LOL.....Want pix?....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts