Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air box is all cracked to hell on my 750 and I have been looking for a cooler looking replacement.
I have read many times that pods do not work well on cv carbs. is it the paper filter pods only or what? I have found some foam pod style air filters I could use.

Could someone please explain the science of why pods don't work well?

I have also read that the airbox is best for these carbs. Is it just the stock airbox or could a fab a custom one? like a 4" piece of pipe with openings for the carbs, a cap on one end and a filter on the other end?
The carbs are in great condition and I really don't want to fork out the money for new carbs. Is there a way guys?

Thanks, Dustin

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
The twice I've used pod filters both required rejetting and then they worked just fine. One was CV carbs, one was not.

I, too, have read that Honda SOHC 750s don't like pods, nor do the DOHC 750s, but I've never had it satisfactorily explained other than "they just don't". But, I've never done it to one of those bikes, myself.

Hmmm..... he said skeptically...

Perhaps you could search over on SOHC forums http://forums.sohc4.net/ for better answers.

Sorry to be so unhelpful. :oops:

Kirk

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Dustin -

This topic has been covered in depth over at the SOHC Forum.

I suggest you head over there and do a Search.
The general consensus has been that they are more trouble than they're worth on the 4's, that the air box is necessary.

I have no personal experience with it myself.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
You can make them work but some things go against logic.
You need to drop needles to prevent mid range richness but needles are not adjustable so that's a problem.
You can adjust float height about 0.5~1.0mm too high to lean out midange and fit larger main jet
The pilot and secondary main jets work OK , the primary main jet needs changing to around 110~112.5 (for 350/360)
for a dyno run picture take a look at my Hi'yall post in projects, there is a link to photobucket with dyno/fuel air mixture and explanation of what I've been doing
PJ

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am understanding that not all cv carbs react the same to pod filters.
There are lots of dependents, like how many cylinders are on the bike and how old the cv carbs are and what brand.

Looks like I am going to have to search out model specific information on this one.

Thanks though for the input so far. ,Dustin

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Sorry, didn't read post properly (it is Honda Twins) so assumed you were talking about 350 and not 750.
750 responds about the same and may have adjustable needles, depending on exact year (I forget which ones do)
needs roughly the same size jets as a 360 (360x2 =720 instead of 736) 378cc x 2 = 756cc so your still looking at 110~112.5 mains although some people on sohc 4 are running all he way up to 140main jets.
A lot depends on the exhaust system as I found too big pipes needs larger jets, doesn't make as much power, with a lot more noise
PJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts