Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off my fuel petcock because one of the fuel lines was leaking and I wanted to make sure everything was alright inside. Well it's not, but since I've never done this before I don't know what to make of what I found....

First, there are pieces of what I think is rubber kind of stuffed down near the base of the fuel and reserve tube. It seems like rubber when it's wet but when it dries it disintegrates like old paper, but I think it's rubber. Is this supposed to be there? Is it to stop leaking from the base of the tubes? I wanted to ask before I started taking anything apart.

Second, the non-reserve tube is clogged, with something that could very easily be that 'rubber' stuff. If anyone reading this has seen some of my other posts this explains why the bike was having trouble running when it got low on gas. The other thing about this tube is that it's made out of rubber and not brass like the other one. It feels corroded and I want to replace it, so what do I replace it with? EDIT: ok upon closer inspection the non-reserve line is made of metal mesh, this would make sense as it acts as filter I'm guessing. So now the question is it supposed to be capped at the top like that, might also make sense.

Third, somewhat a different issue but at the top of the photo behind the top fuel tube you can see how the clear plastic on the tube is toasty. This is the line that runs thru the bike to the left side carb. It rests on the engine as it passes thru and has apparently gotten burnt and melted a bit. I assume this is no good and I should shorten the line so it doesn't touch anything as it passes thru.

Any insights, solutions, suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Cheers,
Morgan

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
When a fuel tank gets rusty inside, one solution is to coat the interior. The fact that you have in-line filters is a giveaway that there are/were rust problems. In the past, a popular coating was a material called Kreem. Most people who used it eventually regretted it. It tends to delaminate and migrate into your fuel system. I don't know if that is your issue, but you may be able to tell by looking inside the tank with a flashlight. (Turn the light on before you get near the tank so you don't have a spark induced explosion.)

If there is a coating that has delaminated, my suggestion is to use a four part kit by POR-15. The first step is used to remove the crap that someone else put in there. The remaining three steps will clean and recoat your tank with a better, more durable material. Once you have treated the tank with POR-15, I'd recommend losing the in-line filters. They will no longer be necessary, and can cause problems (potential leak points, flow restriction, etc.)

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-K ... info/FTRK/

BTW, you have your tubes mixed up. The tall tube is for regular operation. When the fuel level falls below the tip of that tube, the bike will starve for fuel and let you know that it is time to switch the petcock to reserve and start seriously hunting a gas station. The reserve allows the fuel to begin flowing through the shorter tube, and the engine is happy again for a while, until the tank runs completely dry. Of course, if the reserve tube is plugged, oh well, there is no reserve available to you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah...mixed the tubes up, totally makes sense now. duh.

Looked in the tank, there is some rust at the very top, the tank would have to be practically overflowing to reach it. There is a coat of blueish material on the entire inside of the tank some areas have a lighter creamier corrosion look, the same cream as that stuff in the petcock pretty much but can't say for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Yes, that's the coating I mentioned. Where you see the actual rust is probably where the coating delaminated and started messing up the petcock. If you don't get that stuff completely out of the tank, it will plague you from now on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks!

Cheers,
Morgan

fxray said:
Yes, that's the coating I mentioned. Where you see the actual rust is probably where the coating delaminated and started messing up the petcock. If you don't get that stuff completely out of the tank, it will plague you from now on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts