Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of the resident experts tell me close to what year this CL is?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
JapJohn said:
Can any of the resident experts tell me close to what year this CL is?

It's probably a '72 or '73. The '71 had a square shaped muffler and the the '74 had a black muffler with a chrome shield.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
From the lack of grab rail, the non-tilt of the meters, and the pipe guards hole pattern, it's a CL-K5...
They were sold in both 72 and 73.....

·
Registered
608 Posts
the exhaust pipes/mufflers alone are worth having ,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Isn't there a manufacturers tag on the downtube that lists the VIN # and the model/year of the bike? The first part of the VIN # sometimes has the model #. I was looking at a CL450 1974 today and the model and year was on the tag.
Regards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
66Sprint said:
From the lack of grab rail, the non-tilt of the meters, and the pipe guards hole pattern, it's a CL-K5...
They were sold in both 72 and 73.....
Plus 1 to 66Sprint - it's definitely a K5. One note - the exact same bike was sold in 72 and 73 - only difference is when it was sold! They were made in 2 colors - Magna Red and Planet Blue. I have the Magna Red. The undercurve on the left (lower) pipe indicates the bike was layed down (I mean in the past, now now!). Oh, and I have a grab rail on mine, so that's no indication.

Joe

·
Registered
608 Posts
bdhammer said:
Isn't there a manufacturers tag on the downtube that lists the VIN # and the model/year of the bike? The first part of the VIN # sometimes has the model #. I was looking at a CL450 1974 today and the model and year was on the tag.
Regards.
yeah but he'd have to dig a big hole to get under it to look :lol:
good one bird, :twisted:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Joe....I mean the grab rail behind the seat, not the lift rail for putting it on the centerstand..... (There isn't one in your pic.....)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Bird76Mojo, :lol:

jayel said:
bdhammer said:
Regards.
yeah but he'd have to dig a big hole to get under it to look :lol:
good one bird, :twisted:
I dont have it yet, I'll have it next week.

Free $0.00 :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
That pic looks like a crime scene photo of some Jane Doe in Central Park!
Obviously a victom of foul play :twisted:

·
Registered
31 Posts
66Sprint said:
Joe....I mean the grab rail behind the seat, not the lift rail for putting it on the centerstand..... (There isn't one in your pic.....)
Ah - you are so correct. My apology for the misinterpretation.

Joe

·
Registered
82 Posts
72, 73 for sure. Pick the poor thing up she needs you man...
At least strip her down and send her over to us.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got her home, 1972. Definitely a victim of good intentions gone awry. Just about any little nic nac on the bike is long gone, all motor mounts & bolts, front and back cam covers are gone, points cover gone, plugs were out and I have no idea how long she has been sitting like this. Sad how things like this happen, but I did save her from going to scrap.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Oh wow, that's going to be a tough one. I can only imagine what the inside of the motor looks like, especially the gear box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked it for oil, it had none and smelled of gas :?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Depending on what your plans are for the bike - I believe I have both front and rear cam covers, front and rear engine mounts (but not the top), a good points cover (possibly polished), tail light, turn signals, and a LOTS of other bits and pieces I'd part with for a reasonable price plus shipping fees. ;)

All from my 1974 CB450

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bird, Thanks for the offer. I caught the fleabay bug last night (after a few beers) and got those items for cheap. But I should have asked here first, but I am impatient and require instant satisfaction (BIN).

Seeing as this is just a roller with a motor I plan to chop it and make a bad @ss little hardtail out of it. First thing I need to do is assess the motor and see what all is needed and maybe dump some coin into head work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts