Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Gents I'm looking at this BB and need the group consensus and appraisal forget the dollar value as these are quite hard to find in OZ. What id like to know is,
What's missing
What's not correct
What's good and what's bad. :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HONDA-CB450-CLAS ... 500wt_1182

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I don't know much about black bombers but I do know the left muffler has a good size dent and the handlebars are not stock (although I prefer the ones in the picture).

It looks pretty good from here.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
I can't agree or disagree about the bars (general exports are different from US models).
Same with the taillight.... The headlight parts will be tough to find easily ($ wise) and the pipe(s) will be terribly expensive to replace.....But it looks to be all there....and as far as I am certain (not very far), it could/looks to be all original stuff... Chris (GAMD5)...would be a better person to ask..... Why don't you PM him?....With 7 in his stable, He is an/the authority on the Bombers....

·
Registered
35 Posts
wild guess, but cant you use the headlight housing off a cb77 and the upper shock cover to repair this bike.. if its a k0, would it not be a 4 speed?. As to the muffler?? Again, maybe a cb77 will work.. but none of them are a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned if your looking for a very rare k0....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the reply, i have a complete headlight and know where there is a Left hand NOS muffler, so thats ok, there are several fork ears on EvilBay for sale, the same for the tail light. It's the little things that are my concern.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Well I just typed a page reply and it did'nt go through so first of all pics to identify 4 or 5 speed and seeif that works.Ko would have been four speed 5 speed on the K1's etc.
Pic with ribs behind kickstart lever on engine casing are 4 speed
pic without ribs smooth casing around kickstart area

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Sending my comments in bits 3rd try.
I mainly relate to British bombers but my thoughts on pics:-
Wrong horn s/be elephant horn-Usually on ebay about once every 6 months approx £80
Wrong seat cover shouldn't have stiching down back & should be marked HONDA.
Trying this bit

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Continued wow it went through!!! :D :D :D
Wheel rims shuld have DID markings about near tyre valve -these look rather raised in middle?
Throttle cable -black plastic repro on corner s/be chrome?
Rear fender at bottom looks repaired not quite right shape?Always rot away at this point.
Koni shocks-last orig sec hand ones on ebay made £230.00!!!!
Try this bit

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Headlight to UK would not have been like that.Would be on K1 over here.You could fit CB72 shell but would need blocking off where neutral light & light switch holes are.Not sure if US front would fit but Speedo will fit in hole just fine.
Handlebars?
If you buy save those exhaust front mounting brackets to frame-unobtanium.
Also I would ask about the seat mounting rubbers condition.
Back light -never seen one like it -UK would be Stanley with slightly different mounting bracket.
Try that bit now wrote it three times brain gone dead. Regards Chris

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Are both tank badges plastic original,slight flash on top of some of letter.Repros about £150 pair.Metal ones about £25 .One side looks metal --can't zoom in to check.
Personal opinion If its got a 5 speed engine forget it.My opinion cranks & brgs not in the same league although I know some will disagree especially with that big gap between first & second gear but 4 speeds like the revs- used to go racing with a friend in the 60's with a 500 4 speed bomber--those were the days. :D
Good points-ITS A BOMBER
BAD POINTS -YOU WILL NEED PLENTY OF MONEY & TIME TO FIND BITS.
THINK THATS IT REGARDS CHRIS

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Sorry one last thing. BEWARE Front end chrome bits on front forks ---NOT ENOUGH SHOWING--Either lower fork shrouds incorrect -too long or it did a nosedive and damage bent a leg or two and never returned up!! See pic I've checked all my bombers and non like this,I don't think there just tired shocks I think it may be major.Length of that bottom black fork shroul to chrome ring should be 17cm.Maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily they do look long? Sorry about pic its getting dark in garage,mind you it is1.04am over here. Regards Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Had a final look at pic and 99% sure its a five speed K1 engine in a 450 4 speed frame- bitsabike-w-What with the shocks unless its very very cheap forget it mind you some mug will go over the top on ebay!!!! :D :D :D Regards Chris.
Always remember _THE BEST WILL ALWAYS STAY ON TOP

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Final final comment seat latch knob & spring missing,not sure whats in front of fuel filler cap on tank should all be black painted--is it just pic?,Tank badges wrong. Regards Chris

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Thanks :shock: that was great and just what i wanted, I've sent him several emails and have a good dialog going so we'll see what happens. Just one question on the side cover, can you use a 5 speed cover on a 4 speed engine, (will it fit) The engine number is supposed to be CB450E1013594??

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GAMD5 said:
Final final comment seat latch knob & spring missing,not sure whats in front of fuel filler cap on tank should all be black painted--is it just pic?,Tank badges wrong. Regards Chris
I see what you mean about the tank and there looks like a dent on the left front as well, i'll ask him more Q's as for the seat latch :eek: that's not good, they're just about unobtainable.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Yes you can use a 5 speed cover on a 4 speed engine without any problems.In fact I rebuilt a 4 speed several years ago with a 5 speed cover and have yet to change it over to the correct one.Didn't find out about ribs on casing until it was too late. :D :D Regards seat knob -yes virtually unobtanium I've managed to extend other knobs with bolt thread welded to suit.Don't know why this came into my head but spring should be walnut whip shaped. Regards Chris

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
According to my book official honda parts list K1 engines start at engine number CB450E3000001 with or without the E in the number.Can see your thinking has he put a K1 5 speed cover on a 4 speed engine.---possibly especially with that engine number.Ask him to click through the gears turning the back wheel to find out if 4 or 5 speed.Make sure you tell him "into neutral does make a click ,rear wheel should be free and that this is not another gear to count.There not all bikers out there :D :D Regards Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GAMD5 said:
According to my book official honda parts list K1 engines start at engine number CB450E3000001 with or without the E in the number.Can see your thinking has he put a K1 5 speed cover on a 4 speed engine.---possibly especially with that engine number.Ask him to click through the gears turning the back wheel to find out if 4 or 5 speed.Make sure you tell him "into neutral does make a click ,rear wheel should be free and that this is not another gear to count.There not all bikers out there :D :D Regards Chris.
Yep, he just got back to me and he went through the gears and it's a 4 speed :D and you are right about the side cover.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
4 speed-Now that makes it a different kettle of fish :D .What did he say about lower front fork shrouds was it just the length.I'm curious and did wheel rims have the DID?I won't be bidding carraige to the UK would be horrendous and my stable is full. Regards Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Check out www.classichondarestoration.com if youv'e not already viewed it.Proper ko tank badges with the "Flash" are shown under honda305 parts for some strange reason.Sure you'll have a nice time looking around if youv'e not been there before. Regards Chris.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts