Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a guy today who said he had a small Honda bike that he didn't know what it was called. He said you pumped the pedal a few times and then released the clutch to get it to start. Does anyone know what it might be? He wants to sell it along with a trail 90.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Throw is a bone, got a picture, serial number, what country is it in?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it is difficult without more info. The guy doesn't have a way to take a picture. I will be able to look at these in a couple of weeks. They are in the US. Just trying to have some info before I go to look. Someone said the small one pump is some type of moped 50. Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
Honda released only two mopeds in the US during the '60s. First came the Model P50 in June of '66 and sold through 1968. It was than replaced by the "Little Honda" model PC50 in 1969 and sold until '70. They didn't have another moped model in the US until at least 1978 IIRC.
Here's my 1969 PC50 survivor, 100% complete and original. It comes with the unique front fender reflector used on nearly all the early '69 models. Both fenders are plastic, however the tail light bracket and luggage rack are metal. Just above the foot pedal is a little lever that disengages the pedals from the engine should you need to pedal yourself back home without cranking the engine. Otherwise that lever is used to start the motor, but only when the bike is on the center stand, as there is no way to disengage the centrifugal clutch. The lever also must not be used while the engine is running. The muffler on this model has an unbelievably small opening, just about the size of a #2 pencil.

My P50 is a project but parts have been obtained. No leg shields on this one, but it does come with a front wire basket of sorts. Again the fenders are plastic and the seat does not need to be flipped up to put gas in the tank. The tank is an integral part of the luggage rack holding only .6 gals .
The Cyclemaster or BSA Winged Wheel were the most probable inspiration for this design Honda chose to use. The 9.0 - 1 compression 4 stroke engine is very similar to the PC50 engine but puts out slightly less power,with a top speed rated at only 25 MPH.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
rrquarles,
I believe the small Honda you are describing is an NC50A Honda 'Express';I had a 1977' first model year and it has a spring loaded pedal that you crank-up a few times until it stops then you push the start lever and it starts the engine.The bike is a 50cc moped type w/o pedals that some folks refer to as a 'no-ped' :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bilbike is correct. I had one a few years ago. The "crank" looks like a kick starter. When I got it I tried to push the lever and it would not go so I assumed the engine was seized up. I pulled on what I thought was a brake lever on the left handle bar and the engine spun over- made me jump!! Never did get it to run.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some more info from the owner and he says the small bike is a cub 50 and the other is a Trail 90. Both are supposedly in good condition ,very low miles and not running. What would these be worth? The owner says I came come tomorrow to see them. Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Depends on your area - up here I'd venture a guess that the range is approximately:

Rusty/Not running - $300-$400
Heavy "patina" :D but running - $500-$700
Running & Mint - $800-$1200

·
Registered
169 Posts
Spiro, we were typing at the same time!

The cub 50 may be a more modern bike with fat tires, which I know nothing about. If it is a Honda 50 Cub or Supercub that is a different story. The vin in on the left side just below the side cover, and the engine # is on the left side about 3/4 of the way to the front down low. Both numbers should start with one of the following- c100, ca100, c102, ca102, c105,ca 105, ca110. The A just stands for America, meaning for the US market.
Complete, engine siezed, rolls- $50-200
Complete, turns over but not running- $75-$300
Complete, runs $150-$800. If real nice up to $1200

Maybe 20% more for trail 90.

Parts are easy to get for both. I have lots of plastic parts, and misc for the 100 series.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That’s each, in Seattle at least. Give Jack a few seconds to follow up, we seem to be in sync :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
As spiro said each.

I like to buy runners for $2-$300.

As mentioned before trail 90s add 20 % or so. The wide range of $ is depending on condition or patina as spiro says. Please let us know what you find, with pics.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
I was talking with a guy today who said he had a small Honda bike that he didn't know what it was called. He said you pumped the pedal a few times and then released the clutch to get it to start. Does anyone know what it might be? He wants to sell it along with a trail 90.
as well if papers/no papers will make a difference in the price

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good point. All states are different. I live in Maine part time- VERY easy to tag pre 1994 bikes, so that isn't an issue. Other states make it nearly impossible without correct paperwork. The Vermont angle seems like a great alternative if no paper with the bike.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think in Ohio a motorized bike with a 50cc motor only needs a bicycle tag. No 2 wheel endorsement needed unless between 14 and 16 years old. 26 inch wheels required.

Any one near Ohio have one for sale???

Bill

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are these popular enough where they will be fairly easy to sell? I already have a couple of CL350 parts bikes and don't really want to sell these for parts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Depends where you are. First let's find out what the bikes really are and their condition. Look at completed auctions on eBay, do some research, knowledge is power. And profit.

The better condition the easier sale.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honda express.JPG I finally got to see the bikes today. The small one is not a cub 50 but is a 1978 Honda Express with 1,200 miles. The other is a trail 90 with 1,500 miles. Both are in pretty good condition. He thinks he can find both titles and manuals. They were left to him as part of an estate. I am located in Virginia. Honda trail 90.JPG

·
Registered
169 Posts
I sold a complete but kinda rough express, non running for $130. I see them on CL in nice shape for $6-$800.
Not running but complete w key and paper that one is $100-$200.
Trail 90 looks good- running, paper and key $7-$1100. I would pay $2-$300 as shown if not siezed and has paper and key. Running and riding $4-$500.

Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts