Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a doofus. I took the screws off my cb175 on my left crankcase and did not keep track of which length went to which hole. :oops: Does anyone know of the pattern? I've developed a oil leak and I think it is because I didn't get the right length screw into the right hole. Please help....

Thanks.

Ken

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb175-super- ... t/E10.html

Take a look at the picture and cross ref the screw lengths from the list below it. You should be able to figure them out.

If that is not your exact model, you should be able to find it using the search bar at the top.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Another option is to put all the screws in the holes you think they go (don't tighten them) and you can visually see which ones stick out to far or go in to far. Honda did a pretty good job of sourcing the right length screws that tend to stick out about 10 threads or so before they grab.

It should be ovbious when you put all the screws in which ones are to long/short.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great tips. So MNellis, if I take one of the long screws and try each hole, it should stick out of the shallow holes? Almost seems too simple. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I've gone to Lowes to buy hex head bolts to replace all the stripped out screws on my CB350. I used a dremel with cutoff wheel to zing them down to custom lengths. I left about 1cm of internal travel on each one.

if the bolts are grabbing though, even if they're too short, you shouldn't be leaking oil. Perhaps the gasket around that bolt has a crack in it or something?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
kennethshaw said:
Great tips. So MNellis, if I take one of the long screws and try each hole, it should stick out of the shallow holes? Almost seems too simple. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Yes, it is pretty simple and, yes, the longer ones will stick out much further than they will if they are in the correct holes. Conversly, the short ones will go almost all the way in with maybe 1 or 2 threads showing, which is to short.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking the same thing with respect to the gasket. I have a replacement gasket that I got off of ebay. It's green and looks feels like really dense fabric. Is this the same stuff the OEM material? Should I contact a honda dealership to buy original gaskets?

I also bought a set of stainless hex screws off ebay that I replaced all the original screws. Looks pretty sharp and so much easier to work with.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I've foregone wasting money on gaskets as they can get spendy in a hurry. I just seal up my engines with gray permatex now.

gray, because it looks ok oozing out of the cracks as opposed to black or blue ;)

Works just as good as a gasket. The only downside is having to carefully pry the cases apart with a razor blade later if I need to get back inside. In your case, you've got a gasket in place, and I have successfully used the same gray goop to spot fix old gaskets and make them not leak but applying a thin film around the leaky area after prepping it with carb cleaner or something to remove the oil to create a dry surface.

I've had oil leak into screw threads before, but typically the screw heads form the seal at the aluminum case to where they won't leak oil externally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts