Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv posted topics here before about getting a cb 350 running, i got that going but now i am working on restoring a sl 70, my dad bought it for my oldest brother and ever since i can remember it didnt kickstart you had to push it, since then its been sitting idel in the shed and the other day i decided to fix it, pulling the engine apart i noticed it needed a helicoil in spark plug hole. iv done that and got new piston and rings because thed had it. well i had the engine apart i decided to dive into the gearbox for the first time i had ever split one. once in there i realised there was a fair amount of damage in there here is a link to a photo of the teeth missing, could someone tell what i should do about this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedjphoto ... 823174712/

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
You will have to replace ALL the damaged parts.... so clean and inspect everything (find and remove all the broken "bits" that came off the gears, they are in those cases somewhere and will cause further damage)..... Get a manual......Might as well also fix the kicker while you are in there .....
Shame it costs so much to ship to OZ, as I have a complete CT70 trans (actually a whole bottom end with a kicker) just sitting around unused that you could have very cheaply.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
once this motorbike is restored it will hardly be ridden because of its rare ness. would it be possibe to just put some mig welds on it and then grind it back untin it meshes perfectly, and then just buy a new one for the compleatly sheered one. and i have got all the teeth out

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
The SL-70 may be rare there, but not quite so much here....
Your weld-regrind fix will not be suitable without considerable time/money/effort/skill/machinery/metallurgical expertise.......
A gear MUST be correctly shaped to mesh, and then properly hardened to survive the forces it endures.....The reason replacement gears are expensive is the amount of precision work involved to produce them.....
I DO have that spare transmission I can pull just the gears you need from......But by the time we get them shipped, it will probably be cheaper for you to buy new....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
na i wouldnt get them shipped, do you recken that if i didnt get the kickstart going i could get away with it, because, from my observations i recken that 2 of them are just to kick start it, and the other one only has one tooth missing

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
From your pic, the gear that is completely stripped is actually the main shaft (which is also 1st gear).... The "matching" gear (countershaft 1st or low gear) has three teeth missing. (This is also the gear the kick starter pinion acts on)... Plus, the countershaft 2nd gear is missing one tooth.....
If you don't mind having a two speed bike you can't kickstart, (Assuming its a 4-speed trans).... don't fix it.... But don't expect it to run properly without the two lowest gears either....

This is my last effort about your bike......
I tried my best to help/tell/explain.....I'm done...
I thought you were restoring it.........
Apparently, Teenagers already DO know everything...... :roll:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was just asking a few questions and i have taken your advise, just trying to save a big of kang, and i recken you should be happy that someone as young as me dosent mind the old bikes

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
66Sprint said:
This is my last effort about your bike......
I tried my best to help/tell/explain.....I'm done...
I thought you were restoring it.........
Apparently, Teenagers already DO know everything...... :roll:

....from a Moderator? tsk tsk. :p

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
I quote "atters"...
"i was just asking a few questions and i have taken your advise, just trying to save a big of kang, and i recken you should be happy that someone as young as me dosent mind the old bikes"

My responses.....

First, to "atters"...
1. You haven't taken my ADVICE, and replaced the defective parts, even when I offered them to you for shipping cost......
2.You haven't read a MANUAL, or you would have known which gears were defective....(first and second gears are pretty much necessary to the proper and SAFE functioning of the bike)
3. I do understand saving some money, (I assume that is what a "big of kang" is),
but sometimes you just have to postpone until you can afford the parts to do it correctly.....
4. Yes, I am happy when a younger person takes an interest in FIXING these older bikes....FIXING being the operative word.....

To kirkn.... As a Mod, my job is to offer help and advice...I did that.... If the member chooses to ignore me after I've done so,.... so be it......I've done what I was supposed to do....

Not repaired properly, that bike will remain/be a danger to any who try to ride it...
Tsk, tsk yourself!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
66Sprint said:
To kirkn.... As a Mod, my job is to offer help and advice...I did that.... If the member chooses to ignore me after I've done so,.... so be it......I've done what I was supposed to do....

Not repaired properly, that bike will remain/be a danger to any who try to ride it...
Tsk, tsk yourself!

Right, but not to make snide, sarcastic insults to the newbie membership. "Apparently, teenagers already DO know everything. <roll-eyes>"

Nor to pout when someone DOESN'T immediately swallow your wisdom right off the bat. If you feel slighted, fine, keep it to yourself AS A MODERATOR. DON'T post it in public about how 'you're done' and 'this is my last post'.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
your just being arrigent then 66 sprint i didnt ignor you at all, im just not getting **** shipped over from you cause my old man wouldnt let me.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way, I only meant to offer help (and free parts) but you had to be willing to use them and actually fix the bike rather than "cobble" it together (Not that I haven't "cobbled" a few myself,.... Just trying to save you some grief...When I mentioned Teenagers already knowing everything, I was actually remembering MYSELF at that age ... Hence the rolling eyes.... Again, sorry if you thought it was a reference to you....)

Since apparently we got off on the wrong foot, let's start over.....
My name is Steve, how can I/we help you get the bike running?.......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats alright, dont need help anymore, i just orderred in some new gears and am nearly ready to put it back together. i do have a question tho on something im a bit confused on, everytime i have fixed engines and putting in new gaskets, they way i was tought was to but this gasket glue on it, this might be a stupid question so no critisem, is the glue neccesery

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Dude you got some way with words (do you ever read your post before sending?) :)

Side cover gaskets may benefit from a little glue on one side to make cover removal easier, but most people just apply a little oil to hold it in place. Bottom and top gaskets shouldnt really need it if torque is correct.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
You're right Rod... I vaguely remember that....LOL.... How about a pic of those CB77 footpeg brackets mounted... always wondered how they worked out for you.... :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
otr002 said:
Hey Lee do we have any new photos of the CB to show
Sorry gents, I've done nothing for several weeks now. Work is a major chore and leaves me little motivation at present. Also my daily runner (XS650) is playing up and has stolen my free time. I'm still waiting on a seat from crazyPJ...then perhaps I'll take flight...BTW Rod..I LOVE that aeroplane warning tag :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts