Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a very rough 75 CB125 and need to clean/replace the clutch plates. Problem is I need to replace the oil rotor, which apparently requires a special tool to remove the 16mm castle nut:

#18 here:

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb125s-s2-1975-usa_model412/partslist/E++07.html#results

I've looked around and see various tools, but most are 20mm/24mm which would seem to be too big:

https://www.amazon.com/Locking-Remo...rd_wg=oxLfM&psc=1&refRID=168M96942A6BZ3EHXVJV

Any suggestions on what I can do? Anyone got a tool I can borrow?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought the Amazon tool, and it worked fine. I don't have a grinder that would do the job. And I discovered that I could also use it to remove the valve adjusting covers, a.k.a. tappet adjustment caps. I'm working on a K5 CL175 that's been silent for decades, and seems to have been worked on by more than one too many "mechanics" who don't really know what they're doing. The forward valve covers were stuck on very tight and a week of daily soaking with PB Blastr did nothing. A hex socket and a 24 inch breaker bar was not helpful because the engine was out of the bike and all I did was flip the whole thing over. Heat was no help. Lots of heat was no help. In despair I tried a Milwaukee impact wrench, and that succeeded in simply ripping the hex head on the valve cover clean off, leaving a cap with a nice hole in the middle. So I tried driving it off with a chisel. No luck. Hard to believe, right?

OK, so I'm staring at the things, I've already used up every curse I know, and I'm getting worried. The idea came up, use the tool I have for the oil filter retainer and drill 4 holes in the right places in the cap, engage the 4 prongs on the tool into those 4 holes, and just blast the thing with the Milwaukee on full. So I did that, made a lot of aluminum shavings that I have to clean out, and after about 10 seconds on full force, the caps moved! And they unscrewed.

On to the next adventure.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Went west you are missing out on valuable life lessons by not owning, at the very least, a 4 1/2 grinder. Personally I feel no one should be without a selection of grinder sizes and of course a full range of discs, wheels, flapping wheels and everything else sold in that particular aisle.

You really haven't lived until that home brewed special socket is attached to a large 1/2 impact and you decide to slow it down with your bare hand. See life lesson that you will probably repeat. Just think of all the metal pieces coming off the grinder that can ruin car windshields, the joy of skipping a 7" diamond blade across polished granite.

Yes you need many grinders .... we can start a go fund me page if need be .... and if any funds are left over then first aid supplies with be shipped!

·
Registered
133 Posts
You're right, and maybe that's why I don't own one. I work in my garage, where my wife's new car is parked and where the washer and dryer are, too. I get a lot of flack for the grease and paint smells, and I don't want to add grinder dust to the list.

Life teaches us lots of lessons. Sometimes I listen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.