Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a little battery relocation effort and I am having some trouble finding a thin battery. Doesn't have to be light, would be nice if it was sealed, but mainly needs to be around 2" thick at most. The 12N5-3B is the best "conventional" battery I've seen, but it's still too thick. The YTR4A-BS seems like a decent fit but I'd like a few more Amp-Hours...any help?

·
Registered
363 Posts
you can always go with two 12's wired in parallel or 2 6's in series. where are you trying to hide the battery?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just above the swingarm, right where the tool box used to be, which is why I have a 2" x 6" footprint to play with. I haven't been able to find anything thin enough in 12v or short enough in 6v to make an equivalent yet. They're almost all made to be boxy.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
I was looking at a Yuasa catalog (yes, the old paper kind) a couple months ago, and jotted down some numbers for smaller sealed 12V batteries. One is model YT4-BS. If my notes are correct, it is 4 1/2 inches long, 1 9/16 inches thick, and 3 7/16 inches tall. It is rated 2.3 AH. You can probably google up a dealer for this if you think it will work. The problem with most on-line battery sites is that there is no way to search by dimensions, only by vehicle application.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah a paper catalog would have helped a lot. I eventually ended up paging through yuasa's site trying to find something of relatively low power that would fit the space. Thus far the best option I've found is using two 6N2-2A's in series which will fit the space and get me up to 4Ah (1/3 the OEM capacity). The sealed batteries don't seem to cover that region in a similar footprint. If I can make it fit, the YT7B-BS would be great at 6.5Ah, I just have to double check the clearance I have with the fender liner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Posted this just recently (actually in the wrong topic area), but I'm looking for the same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Powersonic-PS-1270F2-Battery-Fast-Connector/dp/B0002ILJZA

So I'm working on a cafe project on what used to be a '74 CB450. It will have very little in the ways of lighting. I haven't found anything by using search on the subject of these smaller batteries.
I found several sources for these smaller AGM batteries that are rated at 7ah. Being gel-type, I could use it on it's side, under my tail section, between the frame rails. My concern is the charging of it while the bike is running. They are "valve" equipped and I'm not sure what kind of amperage a CB450 kicks out while running. Don't wanna toast the battery and have fluid coming out.

Any help would be appreciated.

ScottRod

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While not really related, your post did get me to a previously unknown battery brand who has what I believe will work perfectly for me: http://www.power-sonic.com/images/power ... une_22.pdf 1.9" thick, 5.4Ah! That's about as big a battery as I'm going to get in that space. About half the amp-hours, less than half the weight and I'm moving that weight lower. :) Just have to figure out the terminals and I should be good.

Assuming this type of battery is a good idea?

·
Registered
363 Posts
do you plan on using your starter much? if so you may want to avoid the deep cycle batteries, they are not really designed to take a big hit like cranking the starter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found several sources for this type of battery. They are all the same dimensions and same capacity 7ah to 8ah. I'm gonna try one. Ebay has them for less than $20! If it doesn't work, I'll ditch it for a big capacitor and kick start it. Of course, not everyone has the same end result in mind that I do...

ScottRod

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ihatespeed said:
do you plan on using your starter much? if so you may want to avoid the deep cycle batteries, they are not really designed to take a big hit like cranking the starter.
I shouldn't have to very much, as my 360 will start on the 1st or 2nd kick (or at least, it did before I disassembled it). I wonder about the life span of one of these batteries since they seem to be designed to discharge-charge-discharge-etc. whereas a car/motorcycle battery is designed to stay pretty well topped up, minus big discharges like starting. I don't know enough about batteries to make a sound judgement, just a $25 gamble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, new to the site, I know I'm a couple months late on this post, but I saw this: http://www.motofiaccone.com/moto/40-cl3 ... minum-tray
He says he uses three of these, at ~$25 each. Not sure if this is enough to power everything, or how these are rigged, but damn they're small!

I ordered a standard Yuasa but I'm considering going smaller.
What direction did you end up going?

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
I have found the only battery I will buy from now on...

(and I need someone to try one to let me know if the marketing is true since I have no need for a new battery at the moment)

www.Shoraipower.com

4X the service life
holds a charge in storage for a year
cabon fiber case
sealed
1/5 the weight of regular battery
smaller size 2.25 x 4.5 x 3.5

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Have one drop-shipped to me,... I'll gladly test run it for you..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
sure thing...what's your credit card number?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Expensive but probably less costly in the long run if they do last that much longer. I am going to try something different next time.
Don

·
Registered
363 Posts
compared to a good sealed lead acid agm battery the price is about 50-60% more I'd guess. so if you get 4 seasons instead of 2-3 then its worth it. getting away from having to use a battery tender all winter probably saves half the premium in electricity over the life of the battery anyways..
the direct replacement for my triumph is 50 dollars more than a stock yuasa, so price is not bad at all. and lifepo technology is real solid, I have a home built one in my cb450, so far so good, and the claims of no self discharge are no exaggeration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts