Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple of weeks ago i dumped my bike. for some reason it began leaking oil all over the place and covered the rear tire in oil and i layed it down.

i finally cooled down and started to tear into this thing.

when i opened up the left side rear cover i noticed that the clutch lifter rod seal was not seated and half out. this would make sense for why she was spewing oil all over the place

What made this seal pop out?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It could be a multitude of things. A bad fitting aftermarket seal, incorrect installed or damaged upon installation, etc..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Put the new one in using silicon around the edge - the silicon can't hurt anything at that location, and also has pretty good adhesive properties........I'm not sure that even Ray (fasterspider) could gripe about silicon for this.

Please edit your Profile in the User Control Panel, so that we know what bike you're talking about, where you are, and even your real name.......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The most likely reason it came out is because it hardened-up after 30-odd years and the rod dragged it out...... Excessive crankcase pressure (read weak or bad rings) will/can do it too...If the breather vent is clogged..........

·
Registered
608 Posts
also could be caused by overfilling with oil, or gas leaking into crankcase causing overfill

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
this seal is notorious for coming out on 350 race bikes. Many of the guys I've spoken to who race these make small brackets (that look like tuning forks and attach to the neutral indicator electrical pickup bolt in the side case) to hold them in.

the reason these seals blow is because the main oil passage is just above the front top of this seal. If I had to guess I'd think you may have been spinning the engine pretty hard at the time of or recently before it let go.

Of course it's also probably 35+ year old rubber that's hard as rocks as well.

By the way, buy only OEM Honda seals. they are still available new from Honda dealers and are better quality than aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Put the new one in using silicon around the edge - the silicon can't hurt anything at that location, and also has pretty good adhesive properties........I'm not sure that even Ray (fasterspider) could gripe about silicon for this./quote]

Bill, do you mean plain old RTV silicone sealant (like the clear Permatex stuff) or a silicone gasket maker (like the black oil resistant stuff)?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
thrilhou said:
tbpmusic said:
Put the new one in using silicon around the edge - the silicon can't hurt anything at that location, and also has pretty good adhesive properties........I'm not sure that even Ray (fasterspider) could gripe about silicon for this./quote]

Bill, do you mean plain old RTV silicone sealant (like the clear Permatex stuff) or a silicone gasket maker (like the black oil resistant stuff)?
Yep, plain ol' silicon or whatever you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts