Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - when I bought my '74 450 I had to charge the battery every few days so that it would have enough juice to start via electric starter and operate the turn signals with the headlight on. Having no idea how old the battery was, I bought a new one about 3.5 months ago which fixed all problems. Would turn over perfectly with electric starter and all signals worked while riding.

Fast forward to now... the other day I'm riding and I notice that my turn signals are just staying solid when I use them (sometimes blinking if I rev the engine high enough) and not blinking as they normally would. If I turn off the front headlight (I always run it on low) then the turn signals would work again... albiet slowly. Then, the next day not enough juice to even turn over - had to kick start it.

So, obviously the bike isn't recharging the battery as it should. Any suggestions on what this is? Where to look? I'd like to try to keep it out of the $$$shop$$$ if possible!!

Thanks everyone!
Andy

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Several topics cover testing the charging system...The systems are close enough on most older twins to make the results valid.......Post your results of AC and DC readings...we'll go from there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
a thing with older machines is corrosion on the electrical terminals, clean the terminals going to the regulator and frame ground. My CB750 would not charge so before doing anything(i read too much) i went and bought new regulator. Well my new regulator was not plug and play so while pulling i cleaned my wire terminals and existing regulator pins, presto 13.7v at 1000rpm, since then no more dead battery. I still have the new regulator that i will use one day when i really need it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts