Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any bright ideas? The 6m screw holding in the oil filter in my 69 cl175 was all buggered up. I used one of those reverse thread screw removers and just in my hand screw driver it broke the tip deep in the screw head and will not come out. The broken tip is too hard and at a bad jagged angle to drill out, tried good needle nose pliers, even hitting the surrounding material with the dremel. My understanding is I need to get the whole screw out so I can get an 8m screw in to remove the cap. Also, anyone know where I can find the tool, or any tricks to get the slotted nut out once I get the cap off?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I would try a small diamond bit in a dremel to cut a SLOT then use an flat blade in an Impact Driver once It is cut.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boom! Thanks for your guys help! Had a few diamond dremel bits so I spent some time hacking at the bit in there. Removed all that broken bit then it came out after some heat and penetrating oil. Came right out as I was drilling it out for another extractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Once you get the cap off ( use an M8 bolt into the hole that the mashed M6 came out of) post a picture of the centre hole as it's a bearing surface for top end oiling, any damage you may have done with the dremmel to that face will affect the oil flow to the top end ( cam, journals, followers etc)
The handle bar clamp of a good place to source an M8 bolt, the correct pitch to extract the oil filter cap.
Don't pull the tabs on the cap, they'll just break off ( I see one already has)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The outer face is the sealing surface, marks on the id of the hole won't affect the sealing.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
The outer face is the sealing surface, marks on the id of the hole won't affect the sealing.
That's true,
Here's a cap from a spare 175 k3 engine the steel section has a two tone colour showing the wear ( I know there shouldnt be any) between the transfer piece and the cap.
While this is a gas thinned oil engine thats used for parts, the discolouration is a good indicator of where the surfaces were touching before the top end failed. It's not the whole of the caps steel face. DSC_0176.jpg i

1 - 9 of 9 Posts