Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a CD175 as a project, and plan on doing a full restoration. Problem is, I wasn't alive when these things were built...

My main concern is that every one I see seems to be blue or red. If anyone has any suggestions or info about why this one would be white/and has fairings. it would be greatly appreciated!

Personally I'd prefer to take the fairing off and paint it a nice colour, because it looks to me like someone's just wanted to look like a policeman. However, if this is a slightly different model, or how it was supposed to be, I'd like to keep it original.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That fairing came off a much larger bike like a CB550 or 750.

The last thing a CD175 needs is a fairing and hard saddlebags as it has no extra power for them.

What's your definition of a complete restoration? Back to showroom/as new condition mechanically and cosmetically? If that is the case save your money and purchase one already done.....much much less expensive and CD's are the least desirable model to boot.

Yours looks to be a candidate for learning and preserving......

Have fun and don't end up with boxes full of parts when you realize the costs involved with a restoration.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The Cd 175 had (if you believe the advertising hype) the same HP as the cb200 (which was less than the cb175) id suspect the fairing was to keep the PO's legs dry not as an aerodynamic addition. While theyre not particularly fast the final transmission ratio is the same as the cb175 and are fun around town runabout (which is what they were designed as) .
As for desirability, that comes with availability, I personally love mine though its got a few cb/cl175 upgrades

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
In the UK the CD200 and the CB200 were used as Police bikes (some pictures online of ones from Hampshire Police) so it could be possible that the CD175 was also used.

Have a check at the paintwork for telltale signs of being another colour previously.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
"and CD's are the least desirable model to boot."

I beg to differ. The CD has a proper chain case and single carb. which makes it far more desirable that a CB.
To you it makes it more desirable, I don't believe the Valuation Guides show the CD to be the most valuable compared to a CB and definitely not a CL.

The OP stated he wants to do a "Total Restoration" .... would you advise him that it will be a wise investment of his time and funds to do this on his bike?

I am all for keeping bikes like this one on the road but I buy bikes all the time at steep discount from folks who start down the restoration path.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The pic links are broken for me, but getting it running and enjoying it is your best bang for buck.
My CD175 is now (among many other mods) converted to 12v, that was one of the best reliability mods.

I like the 4 gears, simple. Single carb is great, no balancing etc.

I would like the extra 3-4hp of the CB, but the CD is fun enough with its 15!... probably even less after 40 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
To you it makes it more desirable, I don't believe the Valuation Guides show the CD to be the most valuable compared to a CB and definitely not a CL.

The OP stated he wants to do a "Total Restoration" .... would you advise him that it will be a wise investment of his time and funds to do this on his bike?

I am all for keeping bikes like this one on the road but I buy bikes all the time at steep discount from folks who start down the restoration path.
You'd have to step up in dollar value quite a lot (sandcast 750,) before any real restoration is worth the money, unless you get the base bike in great condition for a steal, for a small cc Honda if it wasn't a RC, you're probably going to spend more than you'll make
. BUT people don't all restore bikes just for the financial gain of selling them....this forum is full of sentimentalists.
You can also buy 1/2 renovated houses for less than the cost of finished ones, but that's not a reason not to put in a new kitchen into the house you have, if your old one is falling apart

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
The pic links are broken for me, but getting it running and enjoying it is your best bang for buck.
My CD175 is now (among many other mods) converted to 12v, that was one of the best reliability mods.

12 volts is better than 6 volts. But my 6 volt 1980 CM-200T is just fine and I am not interested in converting it. It does have a punchy alternator that produces 7 volts at idle with lights on. Perhaps the CB-175 6 volt alternator is weak. My pitiful stock 6 volt headlight was changed to halogen with vastly improved brightness. Rear tail light is a bright 6 volt LED. It looks lighting wise like 12 volt bikes.

However you conversion is very cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 6 volt headlight was ok for city riding but bordered on the reckless at night in the unlit countryside.

The stock exhausts used to rot so we'd replace them with a custom two into one with reverse megaphone exhaust - the sound was memorable.

Virtually indestructible engine, but I did break a cam chain - got away with it - just a broken exhaust valve that ended up in the exhaust pipe.

Ah the memories ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

12 volts is better than 6 volts. But my 6 volt 1980 CM-200T is just fine and I am not interested in converting it. It does have a punchy alternator that produces 7 volts at idle with lights on. Perhaps the CB-175 6 volt alternator is weak. My pitiful stock 6 volt headlight was changed to halogen with vastly improved brightness. Rear tail light is a bright 6 volt LED. It looks lighting wise like 12 volt bikes.

However you conversion is very cool.
The Cm had a more modern design alternator, with the rotor outward of the stator, the cd175 ( actually all 175 twins regardless of 6 or 12v) have the rotor inside the stator. They run at a loss at idle. A good clean system will start charging at 3k most will need a little more.
The cd didn't have a regulator just a rectifier so the battery had to buffer the voltage

·
Registered
26 Posts
Far too much money in this but boy does it put a smile on my face when I go out on it. The first proper bike I owned back in 72. Loads had them as commuter bikes and nobody looked after them. Now when I turn up to a meet it will draw far more attention than more exotic bikes. Certainly not sorry I put the effort in, it should help it on to the next 40 years.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Rim Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car
Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car Fuel tank
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Far too much money in this but boy does it put a smile on my face when I go out on it. The first proper bike I owned back in 72. Loads had them as commuter bikes and nobody looked after them. Now when I turn up to a meet it will draw far more attention than more exotic bikes. Certainly not sorry I put the effort in, it should help it on to the next 40 years.

View attachment 184874 View attachment 184882 View attachment 184890 View attachment 184906 View attachment 184914
i have recently bought a 1975 n reg old shape , for 1200 spent 700 on it so far , but about another 2000 to go into it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts