Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I was assessing damage from a recent purchase. The bike has all the tell signs of being laid down on the right side (brake pedal, handle bars bent, and a nice flat scar on the muffler..looks like a slow moving drop ..
Anyway, I discovered the upper triple tree steering clamp to be broken. I'm not sure if anyone has had success welding / repairing these... I looked online and honestly the only "decent" replacement is a billet piece.. The description says "CB 450, CB500T, CB750K. I'm not sure what year these are referring to.. I'm guessing late 60s to 70s.
Can anyone help me in regards to interchangeability (year make and model) will fit my 73?
Or even recomend a shop that can do the repair...
Thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Rob, was it missing the pinch "washer" (#9 at the link below) that goes in the gap of the clamp area on the fork tubes where the bolt goes through? If it got lost - and they're apparently really hard to find, if not unobtanium - that was how it got cracked (unless the wreck was harder than you might have thought).

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450k5-1972-usa_model453/partslist/F++03.html#results

the reference to the 500T and 750 has to do with the later 450 forks sharing some parts between those models, the early 450 forks were like the early 350s in that the fork cap also went through the top bridge (no clamp on the fork tubes at the bridge then)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMG_6449.jpg
It's still there.. I'm gonna pull it apart and inspect.. you can see the "gap" in the front..

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Rob- if you have a old 35mm fork tube, it could be used as a jig of sorts for a welder to do the job. I've seen it done and think it's a satisfactory repair. I have a few that will be welded someday.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMG_6486.jpg
Yeah, broke.. look whatvwas hiding under that black RTV
IMG_6492.jpg

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see a repair in my near future.. an origional replacment is WAY out of my price range.. can anyone suggest a reputible shop that has experience with this repair

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, did a bit more research..the "billet" replacement recieves 35mm fork tubes. Since I'm not restoring this to show only to ride.. it is a viable option.. now according to the site, it replaces the 500 and 750 (certain years).. so why wouldn't one of those (500 or 750s) upper tree clamps be a possible replacement ? IMG_6495.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
From what I understand, the fork holes on the 500t and 750 clamps are in the right spots for alignment, but you lose the rubber handlebar bushing mounts (they’re hard mounted) and the gauge mounts are in a different place (a different style entirely on the 750 clamp). The 500t clamp just requires you to fab some kind of adapter for the gauge pedestals from the 450.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The later year 750s and 500 fours had more offset. 60mm is what you'll want to verify. I'd go ask that vintage bike shop you have in town. I'd think it'd be a pretty simple weld up, and grind down and paint. Good as new!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Cool..,I'm good with that.. just have to locate a reputible shop to do the repair.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Lefty's correct - you'd need one from an SOHC 750 or the pre-78 500-4. I was thinking of the 500 twin, which doesn't have the gauge ring mounts like some of the others, though the gauge spacing is still off. I think this might work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB75...ash=item4d72bc58c1:g:yrQAAOSwKcVacef8&vxp=mtr
though you'd have to figure out the gauges and maybe grind down the ignition mounting threads.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.. honestly I'm thinking about upgrading the tach and speedo.. but thanks for the info...

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Okay-take it to coastal empire moto. It sounds like if they can't fix it they'll know who can. Then you'll have one to get you on the road and time to find something better if you want. And sell the repaired one. IMHO, billet=ick

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ROTFLMAO!!
I am VERY familiar with the shop, to include their lead fabricator Aaron. All the guys are great there Mike, Ronnie, Arron, Shelby, and josh.. I've helped them out on a couple paint jobs ..
I know Aaron is s very skilled welder, u know he just got a new welder.. just wasn't privy to "cast metal" skills..
I'll shoot him a text..
Normally I'm hanging around that shop.., I've been so busy.. it's been weeks since my last stop by..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well... as soon as I disassemble it, I'll drop it off with Aaron....
I'll post pics..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shoot me a email.. I'll buy the beer..
We have the DGR in September ... Coastal is a big sponsor..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts