Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone from the new guy in Oklahoma City. I recently bought a 1972 Honda CB 350. I found it sitting in a barn in Kansas and the best I can tell, it's been sitting since 1977.....I purchased this bike as a gift for my wife of 29 years. She learned to ride on a bike identical to this one when she was sixteen. We began dating back then and married after high school. Bikes have ALWAYS been a very important part of our lives and a love we shared. My objective is to surprise her with this bike but time is of the essence...... You see she is in Stage IV cancer (Melanoma).....all treatment has been discontinued and she is currently on hospice. Obviously, she won't be able to ride the bike but I know it will make her smile to see me pull up on a bike that provided her with such fond memories.....anyway.......
The bike has 3200 miles on it and is in reasonably good shape aside from the typical surface rust and mud dauber nests everywhere. I bought it from the original owner and the bike is bone stock. I have already pulled the tank which appeared fairly clean from the top and took it to my painter. After blasting it and discovering the holes in the bottom we decided on a replacement tank which should be getting paint as I speak along with the other pieces. I pulled the carbs and started the cleaning process but ultimately opted to take them to an old-timer that is much more capable than I. I pulled the old battery......put in a new one and all the electrics work fine including the starter.
I am probably going to have to replace the wheels due to rust and what appears to be cement that had been splashed on the lower portions (causing even more rust). I am going to be ordering parts soon for things such as fork seals; new seat(maybe); assortment of gaskets/seals and whatever else I discover......While I don't have time for a total restoration, I really want this bike to look nice. Anyway, I have already been reading/researching the forum and have learned a great deal. I am a fair mechanic and really appreciate any advice/assistance from members. Thanks!
Tom
P.S. I am sorry for such a long post but this project is really important to me and I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew.....especially under the time constraints.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Whoa Tom, thats a touching story, welcome to the board. You may wanna add your location and bike model to your profile for quicker help responses. Enjoy all that Hondatwins has to offer :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome, Im sure we would do anything in our power to help put a smile on your wifes face. I have a good collection of 350 parts, just let me know what you might need and I'll check for you. Good luck and enjoy the ride bro.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome to the site. Be sure to start a project log, and let us know when those carbs come back. Let's get this thing back on the road!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. I too have a few 350 parts around if they can be of any help in getting this project to turn out the way you plan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts