Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm a student from Vancouver, BC and I bought a non running 1968 Cl350 for $400 back in January. I bought this so that I have a project I can work on with my dad. My plan for this is to restore to mostly original and get it running by summer so that I can get my license and learn how to ride. I've already stripped down and now I'm working on the engine and painting the frame. The problem with it is that the clutch pushrod is bent and stuck inside. Also I'm looking for the clutch ball retainer and center stand. Thanks! Also how do I rotate the images?

IMG-1584.jpg IMG-1585.jpg IMG-1630.jpg IMG-1632.jpg IMG-1632.jpg IMG-1813.jpg

·
Registered
726 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have you had it running? It would be best to know that the engine and tranny are good before you go to far.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Oh my. That's a ways away from running but looks like a fun cheap project. Enjoy the grime scraping.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome - and I agree with Brent, it would be best to at least find out what the engine's condition is first. Looks like the chain came off and hit the clutch rod and bent it. It doesn't look as bad as some I've seen, you should be able to grab it with a pair of channellock pliers or vise-grips and twist and pull at the same time and it will likely come out okay. As for the pictures, here's some info that will help you understand what is happening

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/25-website-issues/120382-pictures-post-upside-down.html#post1008568

·
Registered
625 Posts
That bike looks a long ways off from running. No carbs... Electrical probably shot... Oil shot... Clutch rod shot... Points... Etc...
Don't worry about not getting it going, ha

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yeah I should have tried getting the engine running first. Oh well, I'll do that next time.
A little motorcycle 101.

Right now you have paid too much for a frame with ownership. You don't know if the engine, the most important part of the bike, works. From what I see in the pictures there are no quality parts that could be stripped and sold. That bike will require time and money to make roadworthy and dependable, maybe a lot of money. Tires, bearings, bushings, cables, chains, sprockets, electrical parts, plugs, wires, hoses, brakes, fluids, fork seals, hardware you don't have or that breaks or strips will all need to be dealt with, just to get it on the road. I don't know if you have exhaust, lights, seat etc. but you need them working as well. And none of that is worth doing if you do not have an engine and transmission to make it go. If the engine is NFG finding another will be tough and if you do IT will be of unknown internal condition or guaranteed good with a price to match.

Put the bloody thing back together. Get the bike running, get your electrical systems working. When you know it will run properly and is not going to have electrical meltdown, then fix the rest and make it pretty.

Restoring motorcycles is not guess work it is a process. Unless you're rich you always start with an honest assessment of what you have bought (should actually be done before you buy) and what is going to be required to return the bike to riding condition. Otherwise you end up financially buried by it or with a motorcycle you can't depend on. If you are rich or Dad is free with his debit card, then do I have a deal for you.

Start at the beginning, work toward the end.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
A little motorcycle 101.

Put the bloody thing back together. Get the bike running, get your electrical systems working. When you know it will run properly and is not going to have electrical meltdown, then fix the rest and make it pretty.

Start at the beginning, work toward the end.
Focus on these words though, we're not trying to sour you on your project. But there is a process to keep in mind. You'll need a Factory Service Manual ask and someone will send you a private message about that. Clean up the parts you have and make a running bike out of them first.
Between you and your Dad it should be a good time, not a financial discussion.

You will get plenty of help here, ask specific questions, one at a time and be sure to always mention year and model of your bike with each question. Oh, and when you start posting threads with your questions, please name your threads descriptively like, "68 CL350 cleaning and reassembly" instead of names like, "ahhh help" so that more of us will want to click on your threads.

You can do it, we can help. Don't be one of those guys that loses interest and sells an incomplete project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts