Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently joined to get some help/advice with my newly purchased '73 CL175. I live in the the Midlands UK but the bike is currently in NJ USA at my daughters place.

I have only seen pictures so far but seems I will need a new right exhaust/muffler if anyone has one or knows of one I would be interested also interested in if anyone has ever cut out rusted section and welded in a new section then had it replated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very pretty little machine. I have a few "parts" machines, none of them 175s...
Where in NJ? I'm sort attempting to engineer my no longer living in NJ, but for the moment I'm in the Flemington area. It's my custom to buy cheap, fix and ride, and no one else has worked on my motorbikes for decades. Happy to help if I can. Coincidentally, I was just going to my welding jobber looking for a type of non-fusion rod I've used in the past that'll join chromed exhaust pipes and looks sufficiently similar that it's only noticeable on close inspection. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of its name... I never got to the welding shop this time around. I've used it with oxy-acetylene - air acetylene probably will do it, too. When (if) I find out what it is I'll endeavour to let you know. All I recall was that it was fluxed rod and had a deep blue coloured flux.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good to see another CL175 builder. Just got mine a few days ago - here she is:

It's all gonna be fun.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
There are several 175 project builders on group.... I am another one of them....
Currently, I'm attempting to build a 1971 CL 175 as a somewhat replica of the
CL 72/CL 77 (to resemble a 60's era 250/305 scramblers)...
To that end, I have modified a CL 160 headlight/speedo nacelle combo, and used CL 160 fork "ears",
installed a 350 front wheel (slightly bigger brake), and a "shock-type" steering damper in place of
the 175's friction damper, and installed a "hammer modified" '68 CL175 (sloper) tank on the 71 (vertical)
frame.... I'll show and explain more when I'm not high-jacking sombody else's thread..... Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KERRY said:
Very pretty little machine. I have a few "parts" machines, none of them 175s...
Where in NJ? I'm sort attempting to engineer my no longer living in NJ, but for the moment I'm in the Flemington area. It's my custom to buy cheap, fix and ride, and no one else has worked on my motorbikes for decades. Happy to help if I can. Coincidentally, I was just going to my welding jobber looking for a type of non-fusion rod I've used in the past that'll join chromed exhaust pipes and looks sufficiently similar that it's only noticeable on close inspection. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of its name... I never got to the welding shop this time around. I've used it with oxy-acetylene - air acetylene probably will do it, too. When (if) I find out what it is I'll endeavour to let you know. All I recall was that it was fluxed rod and had a deep blue coloured flux.
Thanks Kerry any information on welding would be appreciated, the rods you mention sound like 'Brazing' If I can't find a replacement muffler I may split the silencer along the seam and replace the corroded section from the inside reweld and rechrome. My daughter lives in Wantage up in the NJ/NY/PA tristate area.

Hi Bikenoob that looks like a 1971 K5 yes?

Hi 66Sprint I'm interested in the hydraulic steering damper you talk of, any pictures of it?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Here it is mocked up on a spare frame/forks while still in the fitting/adjustments stage:
It's essentially a stock 305 steering shock with hand fabbed bracketry (I re-fabbed the red plastic cover)....

Note that that is a "Sloper" engine in the "Vertical" frame.....That alone took some doing!..... :D Steve

·
Registered
325 Posts
66sprint that looks like an ambitious project... very cool but beyond what I'm ready to attempt!

mapcolmgb yes, '71 K5 apparently.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
66Sprint yes that is the damper I was thinking of, I had one on my CB72 back in the 60's not fitted as standard as I remember but a 'race kit' part, if you know of one for sale anywhere I would like to fit one to my CB400f.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Either Dennis Kirk or Chaparral has the modern equivalents for sale....
If you want an Original, keep your eyes open on eBay.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts