Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First I would like to take a minute to say how excited I am to finally be getting my first motorcycle. So since this will be my first motorcycle I need some advice. I've been in love with the Honda CB350 since I was a kid. Now everyone told me I was crazy, to want an old bike as my first motorcycle so I've looked at many different bikes. However, none have sparked my interest like those old Hondas. That being said, I've decided I'm going to get a Honda CB350 regardless of what anyone says. There's a guy selling one near me on eBay. He isn't asking for a lot of money (current bid is $107) because it isn't running and he doesn't want to try to figure out why. He also doesn't have the title of it. I'm not a mechanic nor do I know anything about restoring a bike, but it has been my dream to restore an old Honda since before I could even drive. My uncles (they ride Harley's) think that I shouldn't even bother tinkering with those old bikes because I don't know anything about them and because well I'm a girl (they didn't say it straight out, but it was implied). So my question to anyone who reads this is should I place a bid, wait and find one that runs, or just give up on my dream? Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Maybe wait for one with a title so you don't have to jump through hoops to 'own' it before you sink any real money into it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah I'd agree with the above post. There's nothing wrong with buying a non running motorcycle as a first bike (That's how I started too), but try to find one with a title so it's one less thing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
For the goals you have laid out here there may be no better choice in bikes than the 350. They are relatively simple to work on, parts are more readily available than for many others, and there's an active community of knowledgeable folks willing to help you along the way.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a non-running bike for your first project, too many unknowns, it's likely to turn in to more frustration than enjoyment.

Depending on your state the lack of a title can be a deal breaker.

With some patience you'll likely be able to find a rideable bike that you can learn on as you make improvements and even personalize it a bit. You might browse our project logs for ideas.

BTW I strongly recommend that for your first step into the motorcycle world you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider course.

Welcome to the group.:D

·
Registered
726 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't be a mechanic (or anything else), brute force has nothing to do with it. The people that build great motorcycles have knowledge, patience and are detail oriented. They weren't born with the skills they developed them by practicing. There are tools for to tight or to heavy. One of Bob Dylan's lyrics is "the old road is rapidly aging, get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand, for the times they are a changing", sing it to your Uncles. Here's an article you might want to read, it's not on bikes but it may serve as inspiration. Leena Gade's long road to success as a female motorsport engineer | Sport | The Guardian
Don't be afraid to ask advice of any of the moderators or senior members here on a particular CB350 you're looking at, although you are probably best to do it through personal mail, they have decades of bike experience. The search is part of the fun, good luck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome from Southern California! I agree with all of the above posts. no problem getting a non-runner, they're a lot cheaper in our part of the world, but also a lot of unknowns. Be prepared for that if that's the route you decide to go. You can also wait for a runner to pop up - they do from time to time - or even look around the country for a seller who's will to at least load it in a crate (you will be paying all shipping).

They're great bikes - don't let those Harley folks fool you. They're just jealous.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it! As for the bike I spoke to my dad about it and he said he knows a mechanic that can check it out for me to see why it's not working. However I'm still not sure about the no title situation. I'm not sure how that works here in Cali. I will have to do some research.

·
Registered
539 Posts
No title in CA means an inspection by the police to show it's not stolen. Check with the DMV online, there are instructions. It's not impossible and many have gone through it. There is also the VT registration route of which there are many threads on here. As far as title threads, a quick search finds these.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/34-tips-tricks/308-titles.html

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/3-off-topic/3415-titles.html

Up to you, I'd prefer a clean title and a running bike, but many folks do fine w/no title and a seized engine. Either way, you have help here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gene! After reading through the thread I have decided to just wait for another bike. It seems like hassle to get the registration. This gives me more time to do more research on the bike as well as save up more money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Brent I enjoyed the article! I spoke to my dad about my plans on restoring an old Honda and he's totally supportive. I'm sure my uncles will come around eventually especially because my dad is the oldest of the bunch :D.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Glad to hear Dad's on board Daiz... oldest and wisest. Good decision on skipping the untitled bike. Lots of info on the forum about 350's, the more you know about the bike the better you will be at spotting/making a deal. As Gene was saying, look everywhere, even if you don't find something to buy further away it will help you establish the market value.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi Daiz, welcome aboard from the Garden State.

Suggestion : If you go to:

SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

It will let you find any bike in the Entire Country on Craig's List and EBay.

Also, try CycleTrader,

I took the liberty of searching nationwide for a CB350 for you and found a few, though 2 of the 70's models are in Florida one in Tennessee.

They are by no means cheap, but they may be, by the description, ready to ride.

IDK what your budget is, but buying a ready to ride VS a project may be in your best interest.

Don't know how you feel about buying sight unseen but here you are:

Motorcycles - Harley-Davidson, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and More - CycleTrader.com

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Titling an untitled bike in CA is more time consuming than anything else. First you need a completed Bill of Sale, all of the lines need to be completed like the sellers phone number and DL #. Then you go to DMV and start the paperwork plus paying fees. They will refer you to CHP for a VIN inspection that includes checking there's an odometer and the riveted plates for VIN and later models Emissions. That appointment may be 2-3 weeks away. After that's done then back to DMV. No the bike doesn't have to be running or even complete. I did one last year w/o a tank, seat exhaust, carbs, just a frame with the engine, on 2 wheels and a speedo from another bike bolted on, lol.
One thing to be sure of is that the sale is through a private party not a salvage yard. DMV will try to list the bike as salvage initially but be sure to point out that there is no evidence of salvage on any paperwork and they'll relent to doing a normal title. Salvage titles are difficult to insure and hold very little value compared to normal titled bikes.
In Washington an untitled bike has a 3 year hold on getting a title issued. I'm glad I did all 3 untitled bikes in CA before moving.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Make the assumption that an old motorcycle will come with old tires and brakes. Both of these items can look like they have lots of miles on them and still be dangerously old (tires can fail and brake material can delaminate, locking the wheel at speed). Here is a thread that may be of use if you are looking at old Honda twins (or have recently purchased one):
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...n/16105-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html

A good title (valid, in the seller's name, and one that the seller hasn't screwed up by filling out incorrectly, lol) is worth something - only you can determine what that value is, but it'll save you some additional money and time at the very least.

The CB350 is a good motorcycle, but if you are not "locked in" to that model, you might consider expanding your search to include the various 400 and 450 models from the late 1970s through 1986 or so. They're still Hondas, still twins, and... err, still old ;) - but they might be just new enough that the sellers just think of them as "old" instead of "antique," which could save you a dollar or two.

Regards,

·
Registered
539 Posts
They're still Hondas, and... err, still old ;) - but they might be just new enough that the sellers just think of them as "old" instead of "antique," which could save you a dollar or two.

Regards,
That was the case with my first bikes - at the time they were just old , not "classic" :D - wish I still had them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also with an old bike check the vin for back fees ! before you buy even one that says it has a clean title, to me a clean title means no back fees, tickets etc.
my first two bikes were out of the system, I filed a Noop. according to the po's.
welcome to the forum

Reactions: MDM

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
I always prefer to see a bike in person, and hopefully ride it before a purchase. Just my 2 cents though.
CB350, I think would be an awesome choice for you.
I could be a bit biased though, lol
Good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts