Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
I am a fan of classic Hondas, and have several in my garage. Two of them are twins, one is an 1982 CM450a the other is a 1978 Hawk Hondamatic CB400a. The '82 is operational and I ride it when I am not on one of the other bikes, the '78 is a project that I got for free from the original owner, with only 827 miles on it. It was parked in 1981 and will require a lot of work to get back on the road.

I have a friend with a 14 year old daughter and they wanted a project bike to work on together, and since I got the Hawk for free, and have other project bikes to keep my occupied, I made her the offer of "if you make it run and safe, you can have it". Her father and I will be assisting in the work, as necessary, but she seems like she wants to do the majority of the work, with instruction to help her in the process.

In addition to the twins, my garage includes: 1977 CB750K (project bike), 1977 CB750K (project bike), 1980 CB650C (my first bike), 1980 CB650, 1982 CB900F(another project bike), and 1997 GL1500SE (my daily rider). There are also several parts bikes in the garage.

IMG_20180714_053814.jpg 26814883_10213733409801048_686534312189726118_n.jpg

Reactions: Russ Lang

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice bikes! is your 1982 900f a super sport? I'm looking for one

·
Banned
854 Posts
Welcome, where in southern Pa are you?

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum, nice bikes! is your 1982 900f a super sport? I'm looking for one
Thank you! Yeah, and it is a basket case, and I actually want to sell it, instead of build it. I bought it from a co-worker a few years ago, in the state it is in, and have not done anything with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which one is the blue one? I really like that one.
I love the color too. I bought it from a co-worker, who had bought it from her neighbor. It is certainly a fun little bike, and as workdogz2 said, that is the '82 CM450a.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome from Georgia.....lots of good info here on this forum.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Chambersburg, PA. Just off I-81

What color is your '74 450?
My dad has an orange one that he bought new.
My 450 is orange too! I went to PSU Mont Alto campus for a couple years back in the day, spent plenty of time in Chambersburg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 450 is orange too! I went to PSU Mont Alto campus for a couple years back in the day, spent plenty of time in Chambersburg.
That's pretty cool. It was the first bike I ever saw and got to ride on, as a small child. He has Bates hard bags, a sissy bar and luggage rack, and windshield on his, and it has been garage kept since new. I wish I had a picture of it to share.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Dad passed away in May and left me his '74 CB450. He bought it new, and it has been garage kept. 5640 miles on it. I rode up on my Goldwing, so it is still safely stored in my Mom's garage. I plan to go back to Michigan with my truck to pick it up later this summer.
74 cb450.jpg

Reactions: CBjamie

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
My Dad passed away in May and left me his '74 CB450. He bought it new, and it has been garage kept. 5640 miles on it.
I lost my Dad a little over 3 years ago myself, sorry to hear. The bike looks good, and it will be a great memory for you to get it back on the road again... plenty of help here for the DOHC 450, there won't be a thing you'll run into that this crowd can't solve. Post a project log with plenty of pictures when you get it home and get started on it, and keep us up on your progress.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I lost my Dad a little over 3 years ago myself, sorry to hear. The bike looks good, and it will be a great memory for you to get it back on the road again... plenty of help here for the DOHC 450, there won't be a thing you'll run into that this crowd can't solve. Post a project log with plenty of pictures when you get it home and get started on it, and keep us up on your progress.
Thank you.
I know he told me that it was only running on one cylinder, and he had fixed it before when it has done that, but I can't remember what he said the cause was. I think he said it was an electronic issue rather than a fuel problem, so I'll probably look into points and condenser first. I also know that the bottom of the gas tank has some rust issues and has a liner in it. I bought him a replacement tank earlier this year, from a '73 that is in good shape, but it needs to be painted to match the bike. And the windshield it so cloudy that you can't see through it, so I'll probably look for a replacement, just so I can keep it set up the way he had it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts