Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm searching for a valid shop manual for my just picked up 1966 CB160, could anyone tell me how to disassemble the gas tank? Looking to remove the side panels and petcock to start clean up and nothing looks obvious, even the petcock has no bolts attaching it from the outside? Just thought I'd ask before I start poking at it. There's also an odd knob at the top of the triple tree, it tightens and loosens, feels like it has spring tension. What does that do?

I just finished with my 1975 CB360 and am moving on to the latest project.

Thanks and happy riding!

1966_cb160.jpg

1975_CB360.jpg
(seat looks better now btw....)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Lovely bikes!

The chrome panel comes off these 'toaster' tanks via a single bolt in the middle of what used to be a Honda badge but looks like a big spider on yours!
Once the bolt is out the panels slides off the rear tank hook backwards.

The bolt holding the petcock into the tank in inside the little bowl under the strainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The 'odd knob' is a friction steering damper.

Why such a thing should be required on a relatively low powered bike with conservative steering geometry is beyond me, more of a marketing option rather than a real need, I'd guess.

Early CB175s had the same. I've yet to experience a 'tank slapper' on my 175 despite wringing its neck at every opportunity.

( I once had a very violent head shake on my CB600 Hornet, accelerating hard in low gears, now that bike would have benefited from a steering damper. I required fresh underwear.)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Home of Westbrook Brewery... and Jacks Cosmic Dogs!!!
nice place!..
Get with me prior to September... we host the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride here in Savannah. Also there is a great bike shop I'd u need help with anything ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts