Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to this forum, brand new to my 73 CB350 twin, brand new to motorcycles! Excited to learn from you masters.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Welcome. Lots of PNW peeps here.
Any pics of your bike?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Nice. What are your plans for the bike?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Interesting bike, if you're really in Seattle I'm surprised that I never saw it on craigslist. I live in Fremont and I am currently riding around on my dad's 350.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do like the mountains... those were all taken on the drive back from picking her up in Bend, OR. Her name is Millie, btw :)

Well, it didn't run for more than 10 minutes when I bought it. I took it to a shop for diagnosis. So far, I've taken apart the carbs/cleaned and installed a new carb kit, installed a Rick's stator and rectifier/regulator, cam chain adjustment, valve adjustment, new spark plugs (not installed yet), working on ignition timing (please see my other post for help!), will change oil, had a new front tire installed (please see my other other post for help!), new bar end mirrors, new grips. Haven't started it up since all those adjustments/upgrades so I'm looking forward to seeing if I fixed it!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just did a 175 (basically the same bike). If you've done all of the maintenance like setting the timing properly, and put the carbs to stock settings, it'll run. I'm not sure how the jetting will change with pods. Problem with buying a custom bike like that is there is no manual for what they did to it, you just have to figure it out. Try to avoid taking it to a shop. You can figure it out. If you're really in Seattle there is a VME motorcycle show this weekend and The Shop. If you go I will see you there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting bike, if you're really in Seattle I'm surprised that I never saw it on craigslist. I live in Fremont and I am currently riding around on my dad's 350.
Well, I drove to Bend to buy it. It was sort of an impulse-recent-break-up-decision :-?

But yes, I am actually in Seattle! Greenwood neighborhood. Your bike looks great! I like the café look. I think it's the back half of the bike that makes mine look so interesting...no fenders? Brand new to all of this, so I'm not sure what makes it look interesting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just did a 175 (basically the same bike). If you've done all of the maintenance like setting the timing properly, and put the carbs to stock settings, it'll run. I'm not sure how the jetting will change with pods. Problem with buying a custom bike like that is there is no manual for what they did to it, you just have to figure it out. Try to avoid taking it to a shop. You can figure it out. If you're really in Seattle there is a VME motorcycle show this weekend and The Shop. If you go I will see you there.
Oh, nice! I'm out of town this weekend, but I'm sure we'll be in contact occasionally, as I have SO much to learn. I'm stuck on the timing and front wheel assembly (other threads I posted), but that's super encouraging that it should run when I get that stuff done. Thanks!

·
Registered
582 Posts
That's actually really funny. The bike that you see in the photo, my old cb750 cafe bike, was also bought after breaking up with a girl I was dating about two years ago. I don't have that bike any more, these days I prefer the stock bikes. How old are you? I know some guys with hondas and (if you're cool ;) ) we can help you. You should link your posts here. The front wheel should go together pretty easily. hopefully your previous owner didn't remove your center stand.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I lived in Greenwood for a while -- and Ballard, Wallingford, U-Dsitrict, but all years ago. Still have a CB500k up there at my dad's place, and ride it when I am in town.

Regarding the lack of fenders -- aesthetically to each his own, I guess. I'm not a fan of the chopped ass brown seat look. But practically? You live in Seattle. You're going to get caught in the rain at some point. Someone (I'm refraining from saying "Some idiot") cut off the fender mounts so you'll have to weld or rig something up, but worth doing.

A few other things: You'll want a front fender too, for the same reason Or if you hate fenders, a fork brace will stabilize the front. If you're riding it around on the street, some proper tires would make sense. And you'll find that pods don't work well with CV carbs. The original filters work best...

Regardless, welcome to it. Backfire moto does a met up once a month although it goes dormant during the winter (although maybe they have a new spot that won't this year?).

·
Registered
582 Posts
I lived in Greenwood for a while -- and Ballard, Wallingford, U-Dsitrict, but all years ago. Still have a CB500k up there at my dad's place, and ride it when I am in town.

Regarding the lack of fenders -- aesthetically to each his own, I guess. I'm not a fan of the chopped ass brown seat look. But practically? You live in Seattle. You're going to get caught in the rain at some point. Someone (I'm refraining from saying "Some idiot") cut off the fender mounts so you'll have to weld or rig something up, but worth doing.

A few other things: You'll want a front fender too, for the same reason Or if you hate fenders, a fork brace will stabilize the front. If you're riding it around on the street, some proper tires would make sense. And you'll find that pods don't work well with CV carbs. The original filters work best...

Regardless, welcome to it. Backfire moto does a met up once a month although it goes dormant during the winter (although maybe they have a new spot that won't this year?).
The new spot is trying to keep it going through the winter but no one wants to go when it starts at 4:00, we all work until 5:00, and sunset is at 4:15.

Anyways, what kind of 550 do you have tucked away up here? ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's actually really funny. The bike that you see in the photo, my old cb750 cafe bike, was also bought after breaking up with a girl I was dating about two years ago. I don't have that bike any more, these days I prefer the stock bikes. How old are you? I know some guys with hondas and (if you're cool
) we can help you. You should link your posts here. The front wheel should go together pretty easily. hopefully your previous owner didn't remove your center stand.
I guess break up bikes are a real thing...
I’m 23. You? That would be great! You’re the man.

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1...-assembly-new-post.html#/topics/122086?page=1

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1...-assembly-new-post.html#/topics/122092?page=1

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hmm. I think I’ll just start with getting the engine running before moving to the rest. I actually like the look without fenders and plan on riding in the summer mostly.
Will I need a fork brace for sure?

I replaced the front tire with this but left the rear as is:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D6OM7K8?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
I was told that’s alright to do...correct?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You'll need the fork brace for stability. The front fender acts as a brace of sorts so that if you should ever hit a pot hole or hard braking the forks will move at the same time and not independently of each other and risk a fork twist situation.
It can be a very exciting experience to have this happen to you at high speed :) Ask me how I know.

I'm not a fan of the no front fender look myself. Personally I think it makes the bike looks unfinished. And yeah there's that eating dirt, gravel, mud, rain, and whatever else that will get tossed up at you from the road thing.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You probably wont be able to mount a rear fender with the modifications. You should go for the fork brace though. Can you post some photos of the bikes that aren't close ups?

In response to the wheel post, this is unfortunately the problem with buying a custom bike someone cobbled together. You'll learn a lot this way though! That's how I learned.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts