Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from the Pacific Northwet.

I'm picking up a Honda GL650 Silverwing tomorrow and I will have loads of questions to be sure. I still haven't seen it.

Here's what I do know:
1983 650 Silverwing- has fairings- sounds like the Interstate model- it's a red(ish) one.
Was serviced a few years ago, parked, and the elderly man never rode it again. Was running when parked.
The elderly man gave the bike to my co-worker, who put a new battery in it but couldn't get it started.
He's going to sell it to me for what he's got in it; $150

If this forum is half as helpful as the Jeep or Steel Soldiers forum, I might be able to get the thing running and usable!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome,Sweet deal on the bike. Your going to have to clean your fuel system,gas tank to carbs, lots of good info on this forum.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Most of your model specific issues are best addressed in the "Non-Parallel Honda Twins" section of the forum but a lot of other stuff is the same as what we cover in the SOHC section. Your VB carbs are a larger version of those and a great tutorial on how to get them working is here:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/63-fuel-supply-carburation/24191-rebuilding-vbulletin-carbs.html

This is another useful discussion for any bike:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...n/16105-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html

Welcome to the group.

Got pictures?:p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, and welcome. I spent six months at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in 1970 when my carrier was in for a regular overhaul and really liked the area. I bought a '46 Chevy pickup there for $250 and had a Honda 450 that I brought back from our WESTPAC Cruise.
I just completed a restoration of a 1985 Honda CB450SC NightHawk that sat unused in my late buddy's garage for over a decade. I advise you to replace all fluids and clean as needed: fuel tank, fuel line, petcock, carbs, brake fluid reservoir, brake line, caliper, and engine oil (make sure you replace the oil with proper spec, e.g., oil compatible with a wet clutch.) The tire are likely shot from dry rot and taking on a flat from sitting so long, so replace both tires and have them balanced. Clean and re-lube frame and replace the battery. I also had to replace the ignition switch, but your may only need lock lube.
That's all that comes to mind right now. It should be a rewarding experience. Good luck with it and post some before and after pix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome and advice!

Got the bike in the driveway...this thing is heavy.

It was parked in a garage up until the last couple months. It was running when parked and had been serviced regularly, but had not been run for the last couple years.

I put the key in run and pressed the button- nothing. The ignition switch is flaky; going all the way to run turns everything off, but backing off just a tiny bit gets me the lights on the console. I got a relay to click in the battery compartment (or thereabouts). I put a voltmeter on the battery and had 11.3 which isn't bad, but could be better.

I connected a jump-box to the battery and was getting an authoritative click but no crank, so I put it in gear and rocked it to turn the engine a bit. That got it to crank and it even started and ran for several minutes (sounded pretty good too). Then it stalled and wouldn't restart. It backfired a few times and ran for a few seconds but that was it. I decided not to push it before I had a chance to look at the fuel and air cleaner.

The condition of the bike is pretty poor- exhaust rusty, windshield glazed over, one of the forks is leaking, ignition switch flaky, fairing is damaged, the list goes on. I have the title and can register it, so it could run the roads again. I'm not entirely sure I want to take this heavy beast apart and make it nice, or just sell it off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Welcome aboard. It's probably stiff to push because of the tires, brakes may be dragging and the wheel bearings may need replacement

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never owned a bike with a center stand before; is there some trick to getting such a heavy beast up on it?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
11.3 V on the battery is bad. You need to replace it if it doesn't hold a charge of 12.5V or more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts