Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Portland Oregon! cm400t brat/racer to tracker dreams

Greetings all! What an awesome community, and thank you for the opportunity to participate.

I’m a beginner living in Portland Oregon. 6 months ago I scratched an old itch and took a basic rider training, got my endorsement, and have been riding as much as possible since. I look forward to learning a lot as this is an entirely new endeavor for me. I did not grow up riding or working on bikes, so my contribution as far as knowledge transfer will be limited. I’m hoping I can find other ways to contribute and support. Overall, I’m very enthusiastic about the prospect of learning how to care for my bike, and hopefully turning it into what I envision.

I found a 1980 cm400t on Craigslist for what I believe to be a fair $1500. Abt 74K on the odometer. It had been sitting for over a year without a start. No oil, dead battery. But overall in good looking condition. Got some oil and fuel, jumped the battery, she turned right over. From my rudimentary perspective, it looks like there has been a fair amount of work done — at least in the form of fuel tank, seat, fenders, racing style handlebars, grips/mirrors, and probably a lot of other things I’m overlooking. Everything seems to be operational minus the turn signals. Also, the oil light stays on when you flip on the electrical — even when it’s full. It goes off once turning the headlight on. I also noticed a screw completely stripped on what I think is the exterior of the carburetor?

I think the bike looks (as well as handles) great with the aggressive racing setup. However, around the 20/30 mile mark my back gets pretty tight. It’s just not super comfortable and I’m not racing anything. My dream is to convert this into a more comfortable, tracker style bike I can take on longer trips.

My Install Wishlist:
-Biltwell Tracker Low handlebars (ordered from Revzilla)
-Biltwell Thruster Grips (ordered from Revzilla)
-Continental Twinduro TKC80 Dual Sport Tires (ordered Front: 110/80B19 Rear: 120/90S18)
-Reshape/reupholster seat (scheduling with upholstery professional)
-Get turn signals functional

Will I need longer cables? What else might I need? Where do I start? Among the many questions I have at the onset of this adventure — key one is how much of this list should I realistically try and tackle on my own? I do not have any mechanic experience. However, I am not afraid of spending some time, watching videos, etc. I do have attention to detail and basic skills to operate wrenches and other tools. I have a full wrench set in the garage.

Thank you for the feedback!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Alloy wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Fuel line Vehicle

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Welcome aboard neighbor.
I'd check your wheels right away and probably cancel the tire order. It's a CM400T which has and 18"/16" wheel combo not the 19"/18" for the CB400T
Hard to say about cables. pictures don't show much there, but if the PO did the same thing he did with the brake hose you're probably fine. No, that hose is not supposed to run on top of the bars.
Do you have the FSM?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys! For the welcome and for the critical info. Yep, canceled that tire order. I am well ahead of myself.

I will print the FSM and begin going through the checklist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts