Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad rescued this '73 cl350:
[attachment=1:pqze5vh6]IMG_0014.JPG[/attachment:pqze5vh6]

he ran out of time and gave me it, tons of extra/new/used parts.

i've begun stripping it down as i have no idea what condition the engine is in. i figured i'd take the head off at least and see how the pistons and bore look.
[attachment=0:pqze5vh6]IMG_0688.JPG[/attachment:pqze5vh6]

any pointers to info on checking out the engine and a possible mild rebuild?
i've never rebuilt an engine before, but have tons of experience doing other things on cars. my main goal is to see if i can get this running, and then i'll probably lightly modify it into a cafe style minimal bike for just getting around.

it has what looks like aftermarket carbs on it, or at least bigger ones. the main inlet is just under 2.0" in diameter (OD).

under the clutch cable cover (whatever you call that thing where the chain sprocket is) is CAKED with grease. did someone go nuts on the chain lube or is it possible there is a leaking seal there?

it probably hasn't run since the 80s. last registration sticker i see on it is '82.
what else should i expect to replace? points? starter relay? coils? rectifier? i have a set of new cables for it i believe.

thanks and hello.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Oo.et.oO said:
my dad rescued this '73 cl350:
[attachment=1:23qc2f9z]IMG_0014.JPG[/attachment:23qc2f9z]

he ran out of time and gave me it, tons of extra/new/used parts.

i've begun stripping it down as i have no idea what condition the engine is in. i figured i'd take the head off at least and see how the pistons and bore look.
[attachment=0:23qc2f9z]IMG_0688.JPG[/attachment:23qc2f9z]

any pointers to info on checking out the engine and a possible mild rebuild?
i've never rebuilt an engine before, but have tons of experience doing other things on cars. my main goal is to see if i can get this running, and then i'll probably lightly modify it into a cafe style minimal bike for just getting around.

it has what looks like aftermarket carbs on it, or at least bigger ones. the main inlet is just under 2.0" in diameter (OD).

under the clutch cable cover (whatever you call that thing where the chain sprocket is) is CAKED with grease. did someone go nuts on the chain lube or is it possible there is a leaking seal there?

it probably hasn't run since the 80s. last registration sticker i see on it is '82.
what else should i expect to replace? points? starter relay? coils? rectifier? i have a set of new cables for it i believe.

thanks and hello.
That's a nice looking project bike and I cringe to see it chopped up into a cafe. But, it is of course your bike. From what I can tell the carbs are original, they just look big with those large diaphragm tops.

If you need any help, I know a guy who does small repair work out of his garage in Gresham. His work is meticulous and he's not that expensive. He just does side jobs as his time permits since he works a ton of ours at the Hyster plant. If you need some help, let me know and I'll see if he's got time for some additional work.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Welcome to the site, nice looking 350.

Have you taken the head off already? If not, I'd try to gauge the state of the engine before disassembling, like try and get the compression numbers at the very least. Try and get it running so you can listen for any strange noises, make sure the transmission works fine, kick starter and shifter work correctly, etc. Once its apart some small issue may not be very obvious and you won't realize it until its all back together and running.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! i'm going to try to do all the work myself for now, to get a feel for this thing.

i'm not chopping anything yet. the seat is cracked, so i was thinking of just putting a cafe style but all leather seat on there and some lower bars and mirrors, minimal signals, CB low slung exhaust, etc.

the picture doesn't really do it justice, the thing is covered in rust and bad chrome, missing side covers, etc. thus the rat-rod mentality comes up.

if it all goes well i might chop the SL frame into a bobber since it has the extended angle head. but that's for later :twisted:

head not off yet. i'll try to get compression numbers. wonder if i know anyone with a gauge. the thing doesn't even have coils, so it's def. not going to run. how do i turn it over slowly? with the kick starter?
if it moves and i get good compression then i don't really need to take the head off, i guess.
transmission is another issue. missing battery and coils, etc are another.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any other tips of what i should do before i try to start it up?
i was going to adjust the valves, and clean out/rebuild the carbs too. since i'm missing the airbox(es), i'll probably just put K&Ns on it, so i may just re-jet while i'm in there.

although i suppose i can check the compression assuming the starter can turn the thing over fast enough.

it's missing one exhaust manifold clamp too. hoping it's in one of the many boxes i have around.
i suppose i should have the exhaust on there before i try to start it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, WA.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts