Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

I've been lurking about for a few weeks, and really enjoying this forum. I am a long term Honda lover, going back to my 1974 CT70-K3 that I bought new, still own and recently restored...

At the moment, we own a 66 CL160, 67 CL77, 69 CL175, 74 CT70, 01 CRF50, 07 CRF70, 07 CRF80, 03 DRZ-250 and 06 TTR-250 Yammie.

The Scramblers are project bikes, and we are learning the ropes with these great Honda twins.

Look forward to learning a lot from you all. Will endeavor not to ask a lot of incredibly stupid questions, but may do so from time-to-time.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Love the snowbank behind the 70. :lol: Where in Cow Hampshuh are you from? I lived in and all around Keene, up to Stoddard and down to Fitzwilliam, plus little stints over in Manchester, Epping, and Weare(Where?- Heard it a thousand times.) :)
None of these guys have been to Bike Week in Laconia, obviously. :lol:
I do miss an occasional ride without a helmet, but that's another thread.
Welcome to the fun, and thanks for jogging up some very fond memories!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Welcome,,,,, love the CL160. I had one and it was one of my favorites. It will always be one that I wish I had back. Whenever I would take that bike on one of our camping trips with my friends it always got ridden by everyone before the weekend was over.
Don

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are great, thanks for the warm welcome!

I spent 30 years playing around with Musclecars, and over the years have owned some neat rides, including a 69 428CJ Ram-Air Cougar, 68 SS427 Impala, Mustang 5.0 Coupe, 87 Buick Grand National and many others...I discovered that restoring and tinkering with bikes is FAR more fun. Takes up WAY less space, much less physically demanding, and WAY cheaper. Plus, the engineering elegance and simplicity of vintage Honda machines is just so cool.

I am a huge fan of Soichiro Honda - and along with Henry Ford consider him one of the greatest engineering minds in history.

We live in Amherst - a bit west of Nashua and Manchester. Yep, the New Hampster winters are severe, but that's why we've got Snow Machines (Jetskis with treads for you southern folk)

I've done some snow riding on the TTR and DRZ but came to the inevitable conclusion that without studded ice tires, it isn't any fun at all.....

My sons love the vintage Scramblers as well. My 10 year old (a seasoned trail rider, now in his 5th season) loves the CL175 - and can really handle it well. It is a nicely balanced little bike - and I love the sound and bottom end torque of the 360 degree twin. Very good handling and braking as well.

Will post updates when theres one worthy of sharing. The CL160 frame comes home from powdercoat today, and my boys and me will start assembly next week.

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the Suzuki DRZ-250 is a very good machine. Very good handler, excellent brakes and pretty light for a trail oriented thumper. However the Yamaha TTR-250 is significantly faster. Where the DRZ readily wheelies only in first, the Yamaha will roll on wheelie through second and can wheelie in third with a little tug on the bars.

Both are bulletproof playbikes, requiring almost zero upkeep.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
MONKEY BIKE!!

Finally a CT70 on Hondatwins :D

Come this November there's gonna be a monkey bike project on this site with my wallet attached, must be so much fun bashin around on that there little bugger!!!!!

..breathe Lee, take a deep breath......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts