Honda Twins banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Mike and after 18 years of intense negotiation convinced my wife I was "mature" enough to add a motorized vehicle to my two wheeled obsessions. When I was a kid my dad owned a late 60's Honda Scrambler and I've never been able to get that bike out my head. Perhaps that was because when I was 5 he plopped me up front and took me for rides through Needles Highway in the Blackhills of SD. Twistys at 5 will affect a kid!
Well 39 years have passed since those days but I finally got my own twin back in October and am spending the winter getting to know her. "She" is a 1981 Honda CM400c with 15,000 and change on the clock that I got off of Craigslist for $400. When purchased she was in pretty decent shape (started (rough), tires newer, brakes free, no leaks, decent seat, and faded paint) only needing a bit of TLC but being a bit of a gear head decided to go a bit further. Can't wait for Spring to finally take the MSF BRC as I've been riding on a permit.
Anyhow I'm obsessed and found this forum of folks who seemed to be similarly affected.
Peace

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome aboard. I always extend a special welcome to new 400 guys as we are somewhat outnumbered here by the 350 and 450 guys. Even so they are very helpful and somewhat entertaining. :lol:

That's a good deal for a 400 in decent shape, or for that matter even not in decent shape. Look forward to seeing some pictures! :D

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Welcome to the group..... Several 400 projects going on here.... :D ... Steve

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome! Yes, please post pictures so we can see. Sounds like you got a fair deal, congrats!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here's a couple of pictures of my little twin...

Put about a thousand miles on it before the roads got too nasty. Rides nice and smooth after a carb kit and fork maintenance. The biggest surprise was finding that the bike didn't have the original fork assembly but instead had the forks from a 1980 CM400T which didn't have air assist. Seemed like a strange replacement but it did make for an easier rebuild though!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
That wasn't just a good deal, that was a steal!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome! Nice find!
There's a few of us from MN on here. Would be fun to get together this summer and add to the RIDE REPORT thread. Need more Ride Reports....to much fixin' going on here :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello Mike,I live in that Big,quiet suburb next to You ( St.Paul :lol: ) We are very fortunate to have such a varied and Enthusiastic motorcycle community here in Da Snowbelt.for instance;every first thursday at Dulono's on Lyndale + Lake, (300-500 Bikes)Anything and Everything from homemade Rat bikes,Scooters,Cafes, to Vincents (The Holy Grail,in some circles) The Bearded Lady Rally in N.E. Minneapolis,The name says it all. The Blind Lizard Rally Every Fathers Day on Nicollet Island.The VJMC Rally.Wings and Wheels in osceola.The Diamonds Cafe (in N.E. as well) gathering Every Saturday Morning Throughout the Year (*a GREAT place for advice and crazy stories from SEASONED wrenches,these guys could fix anything,of course after they BROKE it )And Last but not Least all of the Parkways to cruise when your WIFE believes you are just going down to the store for milk. Awesome Bike by the Way,What a find!!I just aquired 5 Honda's and a yamaha thru a trade on craigslist ,but some serious assembly is required on ALL OF THEM :shock: !It is a good thing a lift table was included in the trade.This upcoming season is going to be sooo awesome,you could tell your wife you need all the practice miles you can get so you can be safe and learn your machine.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hairhead said:
Hello Mike,I live in that Big,quiet suburb next to You ( St.Paul :lol: ) We are very fortunate to have such a varied and Enthusiastic motorcycle community here in Da Snowbelt.for instance;every first thursday at Dulono's on Lyndale + Lake, (300-500 Bikes)Anything and Everything from homemade Rat bikes,Scooters,Cafes, to Vincents (The Holy Grail,in some circles) The Bearded Lady Rally in N.E. Minneapolis,The name says it all. The Blind Lizard Rally Every Fathers Day on Nicollet Island.The VJMC Rally.Wings and Wheels in osceola.The Diamonds Cafe (in N.E. as well) gathering Every Saturday Morning Throughout the Year (*a GREAT place for advice and crazy stories from SEASONED wrenches,these guys could fix anything,of course after they BROKE it )And Last but not Least all of the Parkways to cruise when your WIFE believes you are just going down to the store for milk. Awesome Bike by the Way,What a find!!I just aquired 5 Honda's and a yamaha thru a trade on craigslist ,but some serious assembly is required on ALL OF THEM :shock: !It is a good thing a lift table was included in the trade.This upcoming season is going to be sooo awesome,you could tell your wife you need all the practice miles you can get so you can be safe and learn your machine.

Cheers.
What an amazing array of opportunities to ride and get to know some new folks. Of course that's what I like about our cities. They are biggest small towns in the country.
Looks like your not bad at pulling some craigslist deals yourself and table no less. Handy way to work on all those bikes. Given the way this winter is going you'll have plenty of time to work on them. Use to be we predicted when ice would be off the lakes. This year we'll be betting on the streets. Might be on of the worst years ever.
Peace

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MnBikeGuy said:
Can't wait for Spring to finally take the MSF BRC as I've been riding on a permit.
Well Spring has arrived in Minnesota and this last weekend [sunny and 70!] I completed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Class. I must say I had a really good time and I learned a lot. I was truly amazed at the diversity of people who became my riding buddies for the weekend. Represented in the bunch of 12 we had everything from "Alex" [I ride a c'rocket and no matter what anyone tells me I'll be dead in a week] to "Sherry and her 2 daughters" [We've never been on a bikes before but we thought this would be fun]. We also had the age spectrum covered from 20 to 70.
So you might reasonably ask, "how'd YOU do? Did YOU pass?" Before I answer, I do have to say that I was impressed that MSF isn't just a rubber stamp deal where you pay your money and at the end, if you're breathing and have a pulse, you get a license. They actually do take this seriously and fail people who aren't ready. In our class, 5 of the 12 people failed the road test and didn't get their endorsement. I wasn't one of the 5 however! I, along with Alex c'rocket-boy, passed with a perfect road test score and now have a MC endorsement. I'm happy about that but realize I've many miles to travel and situations to encounter before I really start learning. All I know is that every time I get on/off the bike I've got a grin that stretches ear-to-ear! :D

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Congratulations, you've now got the license to learn. Go forth and be careful.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Congratulations!

I also found this course to be very beneficial and I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to the beginning of your new life! You'll be a much more relaxed person now that you're riding...at least after you become more comfortable with riding...and providing you're not riding in downtown...or uptown...or in rush hour...

Hey...maybe I'll see you at Dulono's sometime!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everybody, I'm going to introduce myself here since I'm in south Minneapolis rather than starting a new thread.

I was a former member of the MSN DOHC 450 group, but haven't really been hanging around the 450 sites until recently again. I've got a '71 CL450 and a few other CL450 basketcases, one of which I'll be putting together as my next project at some point.

I would definitely be in for a metro area ride with some of you other Minnesota based honda twins members.

-Nick

·
Registered
140 Posts
Providing I get mine in a good road-worthy condition (mid June is my deadline), I'll be all about a Minneapolis area ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts