Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I joined up a few months ago when I thought I might be coming upon a '79 CM400T. A buddy of a buddy asked me to take it, knowing my hankering for punishment, er, uh, projects. If I didn't take it, it was heading to the dump, as the owner was heading to Afghanistan again and didn't care to store it. It came with the special price of FREE, title and all.

The only thing I know about it is that the mufflers are rusted out, there is little/no compression in the left cylinder, and it seems to be 100% OEM. I brought it home last night, so haven't had much time to look at it well.

I'm thinking it'll be a great two-up getter-arounder for the the missus and I. I"m contemplating "bobbing" it so that she can flat foot it if she wants it for her own. She's only 4'9". But with its spacious seating, she might just want to keep it for when she decides she wants to go for a spin with me (not often).

I'm sure you guys will be seeing a few questions from me!

Well, actually, anybody know where I can download a service manual for it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Perry.

I don't know when I'll actually get to working on it; the Shovelhead has priority for now...Well, for months to come. Considering I probably have to do some major engine surgery I'll need to make sure my workbench is clear...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Looks like an awesome project bike, especially considering the price!!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Another FREE bike! :eek: I've gotta move to a better neighborhood. :lol:

Looks like a really nice specimen there. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I'm with you J-T. That bike where I live would be up for $1000 - 1500. Very hard to get a cheap bike around here.

Just checked your shovelhead blog, good stuff. I'll definitely follow along, should be nice! Great pics too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That bike is a paper weight, electrical? Brakes?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1971 CB450 said:
That bike is a paper weight, electrical? Brakes?

Being a "show bike" I'm not surprised that it doesn't have a front brake BUT there IS a battery, so I assume it runs. The rear drum is probably still there. You can just make out the minimalist headlamp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts