Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm Dave. I bought my first bike a couple weeks ago, a '75 CB200T. I've been digging through this site since. Lots of excellent info for a rookie like me, with a bike that feels like it wants to run well, but isn't quite there yet. I'm hoping to get out of the city with this thing soon and find some roads with less traffic and more hills.

I live in a small apartment here in Chicago, so for now I'm working in the alley behind my place. Below's a shot while I was checking the points, ignition timing, and trying to understand adjusting tappets.

Wouldn't have been able to figure it out without the tips from this site and the service manual downloaded here. Still gonna need some more help- I'm looking to get a new ignition coil and caps (universal dual-lead coil from mikesxs.net, denniskirk.com, or crc2onlinecatalog.com?) and figure out how to seal up a crack in the hose from the air filter, immediately before the right carb (maybe silicon? or: shop3m.com/60455029946.html ) but I'll post all that stuff in the tech section later before I get too ahead of things here.

So, thanks for all the help this place has been already. Looking forward to learning more about these beasts from you guys.

-Dave

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Welcome aboard Dave. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the CB200 models. I just love the tanks on em.. If I could talk Bill into giving me his then I'd be set! :p

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the first time I saw a CB200 a few years ago I fell in love with the looks, largely because of the tank- that shape, the weird plastic down the middle. I love how the striping on the tank reinforces the boxiness. Why did the designers decide to go boxy when it seems like other bikes were more curvy around then?

As much as I love the lines on this bike, hopefully soon I'll spend more time riding it than looking at it...

-Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Love the color of that one. CB200's are good looking.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Hey Dave, where exactly are you from? I am right on the Chicago/Evanston border.

·
Registered
272 Posts
How's the bike coming?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Location wise I'm around Wicker Park / Bucktown.

The bike... a lot has happened so it's probably time to start something under the project logs. I got it running great (so I thought!) after much tweaking in May and June but then something gave way during a longer ride on the Fourth of July and it lost almost all compression in the left cylinder.

It sat broken for July while I read the archives here and service manuals to get ready for what had to be done. This past Saturday I pulled out the engine and am currently diving into what I hope will be just a top end rebuild. First time I've ever opened up an engine. More to come...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts