Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I recently got hold of a 1979 Honda CB400n. The bike is not exactly what you'd call showroom condition. All the chrome bits have rust, the engine was leaking oil at the base gasket, forks seals are busted etc.

That said, I paid R12k (roughly 900 USD) for the bike and she was running well enough, so it was a great opportunity to get into this classic style of biking.

About my personal life: I'm a 33 year old male electrical engineer, married, 2 daughters (under the age of 2), working full time. Hobbies included kitesurfing, surfing, Stand Up Paddle (SUP), biking, skateboarding, playing guitar.

About my bike life:
I've had a ton of bikes including BMW 650, KTM 950 Adv, KTM enduro bikes (450, 520, 525), Husqvarna TE610, Yamaha XT 600 Tenere, but they're all dirt bikes or adventure bikes. This is my first road bike... :eek:

I've rebuilt several motors to various degrees of success, but I'm no mechanic.

Current limitations include both time, money and garage space.

I'm also using this bike for commuting and even though I have other street legal options, I'd rather not have this bike out of service for too long, so the work takes place bit by bit, mostly late at night and mostly on my own.

More about the bike, where she came from and the progress a bit later.

Why I joined the forum: Looking to learn from the guys that paid their dues a long time ago. :roll:

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Got any pics to share?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not familiar with the 'n' variant. But you'll need a proper Factory Service Manual to work on her. PM sent.
As Dan mentioned, pics are an absolute necessity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. Not familiar with the 'n' variant. But you'll need a proper Factory Service Manual to work on her. PM sent.
As Dan mentioned, pics are an absolute necessity.
Some quick pics for now...

Will post some more when I have the next opportunity to sit on the toilet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice bike. Or rather she could be with a little work. A lot of people here are in a similar situation then you with families and job responsibilities. I'm personally spent a lot of the last 2 or 3 months working during the days and staying up late at nights to finish my cafe racer and somehow trying to fit in family time here and there. It sure take a toll, but very rewarding at the end. Lots of knowledge in this forum.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts

Will post some more when I have the next opportunity to sit on the toilet...
perfect place for that Haynes manual - shame it can't be flushed, can't be trusted for more than amusing reading material during your visits
(I wonder if Clymer, Haynes and the other below-average manual publishers ever bought Errors and Omissions coverage?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
perfect place for that Haynes manual - shame it can't be flushed, can't be trusted for more than amusing reading material during your visits
(I wonder if Clymer, Haynes and the other below-average manual publishers ever bought Errors and Omissions coverage?)
I didn't find it that bad and was better than not having a manual, but I always feel that these are more like guidelines anyways and that have to add a decent dose of common sense and experience.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
I would have liked to see more of the 'n' models over here in N.A. Dual disc front brakes and six speed trans are nice to have.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I didn't find it that bad and was better than not having a manual, but I always feel that these are more like guidelines anyways and that have to add a decent dose of common sense and experience.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Overall I suppose they are better than nothing, but they have a history of inaccurate info and specs which could mislead at a crucial moment if you're relying only on them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts