Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So happy to have found this forum. Last November my wife gave me an early christmas present, she signed me up for the motorcycle safety course we have out here. I promptly bought an
81' CM200T with the shop manual, and the Hayne's manual. By May I had done some (now I realize very minor) work on my bike and had been successful. I noticed that that head gasket was starting to fail, so I bought a new head gasket and I dismantled my little "Piggy" replaced the head gasket and reassembled her. If I had found you people 3 months prior, and mentioned my head gasket, I imagine you would have said something like" are you prepared to rebuild the "top end"? I would have said "no", and Piggy would not be in a state of suspended animation.

So, there she sits....I recently bought a 74' CB360 for way, way, too much. Rebuilt the carbs
(thanks to Tyler the owner at Hayasa Motor Bikes in Oakland, gave me instruction and let me use his shop and tools for next to nothing) and have been having a hard time with the new contact point I've been trying to install. Anyhow, glad to be hear. Dan

·
Registered
785 Posts
Welcome to here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Have you heard anything about a faulty cam chain tensioner on the CB360? I want to know if this is something to look out for.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
YES.... There was an upgrade 'kit" for the tensioner and slipper..... IF it has been done already, there will be an obvious centerpunch "dot" at the serial on the engine......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, I was hoping that it was just an old bikers tale. Thanks, I'll check it out.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The CM 200 is a good engine to "practice" on...simple and easy to work on, and the single carb makes for no synchronization worries......Very similar to the 175 twins, and a direct predecessor of the 250 "Rebel" engine, Parts are readily available (The "rebel" is a "stroked" CM 200 for all intents and purposes)... Same pistons, gaskets (for the most part)and general design.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, you know I feel bad about the state of my CM200T. It's a really fun bike, perfect for where I live. All the "hardcore" bikers scoff at her, it's pretty funny. I've seen complete, running engines on ebay for around $100. This was when my bike ran, and I had $100 to spend . I need to get a compression gauge, but I can't find one with a 9mm attachment needed for the CM200T. I was looking for a "push" type, but I've heard these are unreliable.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Sears has a decent compression gauge set complete with a variety of "spark plug-thread size" adaptors.... I think it's about $50 or $60......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. Most sets come with 14mm, and 18mm adapter. I have yet to see one with a 9mm.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
welcome to the site!

that 9mm is tough to find.

i made my own for 9mm with an extra 14mm i had for my snap-on compression tester.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts