Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Just signed up for the forum. I don't currently own a Honda twin, but that is a problem I hope to remedy in short order. I live in the Boston area and have never owned a motorcycle. I've been a cyclist my entire life, save fore a few rides on a dirt bike when I was younger. I'm still actively riding my mountain bike but looking to get into riding motorcycles as quickly as possible.

I guess as an intro post, I'd love it if people could give me their thoughts on some of the bikes I'm looking at. I'm currently talking with a few local sellers, but I really have no idea what a good price is for these bikes. I've done a lot of digging on the internet, looking at postings on criagslist and sold/completed listings on Ebay to try to get a sense of what a good value is, but still having some trouble.

I'm looking at:
1. 1975 CB360T - very good cosmetic shape, beautiful looking tank inside and out, and starts up on the first or second kick from cold. 13,500 original miles. Seller wants $2,250.
2. 1970 CB450 - all around great looking bike. great paint, starts right up. Owner has recently had fork serviced with new boots and seals, serviced carbs and changed oil. He wants $2,800.

Eventually, whatever I buy, I would like to do a total tear down and rebuild as a cafe racer, so I don't really want to buy a bike that's too nice/original because I would feel terrible chopping up a well preserved bike.

Thanks everyone for reading. Looking forward to updating all of your on what I end up with and reading about your projects.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Welcome neighbor, I agree about not chopping up a nice bike. There are plenty of beaters around, read up on Vermont Registration and converting that into a MA title because it'll really widen your options on viable projects.
There are lots of us in the general area, so shout out if you need parts or a hand with something.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome Dave,
Since you are interested in building a café racer, I'll assume you are familiar with "Café Racer Magazine".
One of the iconic Honda twins that become café racers is the Honda CB72/77 Hawk/Super Hawk from the 1960's. They were already designed to be easily converted to road racers using Honda accessories (most of them resemble café racer parts you see today) and complete conversion kits (almost none of these CYB parts are available as NOS parts) at the time. Just do a search for "Honda Super Hawk Café Racer or Bikes and you'll see lots of examples (maybe even my bike, see my avatar).

Another Honda (not a twin) that is popular to built as a café racers is the mid 70"s XL 350. It could look a lot like a British single from back in the era.

Enjoy the experience!!
Mark

Reactions: anything2wheels
1 - 3 of 3 Posts