Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, sortta new guy here. I was on the old message board, same name.
I have to say the new digs are lookn’ good!

Here is what I have to work on this winter…
’73 CB350, It’s in the kitchen now waiting for a face lift.

My recently acquired ’66 Black Bomber. How many incorrect parts can you spot?

I'll post my smokers later, poobucket is ackting up :x

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well I'll be the first to say welcome! I actually spent some time out on Sand Point Island in the Aleutian Islands and I have to tellya I didn't see Russia from there either! Remarkably, all I could see was a volcano spewing its stuff! (fall of '81)... Unimak or Unalaska Island, I can't recall. That made 2 volcanic eruptions in 2 years for me that I witnessed - tihe first being Mt. St Helens and I heard the explosion 300 miles away in Idaho on that morning! :shock: :shock:

Getting back to the post, you have some good project material there. The CB looks well preserved, the BB on the other hand probably needs a tourniquet, yes?

Again, welcome -- I'm kinda new here too, but didn't want you to think that we're shy. Keep us posted for when the CB officially becomes a towel rack -- you know it will.

Tom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I remember Mt. St Helens; I didn’t have to go to school that day! I remember waking up to 3 inches of ash and red ember falling from the sky! That scared the crap outta me, I thought it was the end of the world.

I thought Idaho was farther than 300 miles…huh. :lol:

The CB should be a fairly easy project. The gas tank has some mild surface rust because the PO left the petcock open and it sat out side all winter. The right side plug hole is cross threaded. I’m assuming that was a common thing because I bought another head off of eBay for two bucks and had the same thing opposite plug. Oh well, just another reason to buy more tools. All the cables need to be replaced as they are all dry rotted. The standard laundry list of stuff to do. This will not be stock, sorry in advance to the purist. But it will not be another café wanna be with clubmans and boring/uncomfortable seat. And it will not become a towel rack, it’s in the kitchen…it may have a pot under it to drain the oil. :lol:

Surprisingly enough the BB runs, well it starts. It’s not road worthy (safe). My biggest problem now is finding the parts I need to bring her back 100%. Stuff I must have, seat foam (the original pan is under there), hinges & lock for the seat, air filter/boxes, correct mufflers, correct handle bars, correct shocks or covers. I will post this in the 450 section.

Here are my other jewels.

I could win a Homer award with this bike, but it's not a Honda...

The guy I bought this from said his sister may still have a set of chrome Denco stingers, still in the box never used! Fingers crossed.

winter storage...why did I buy a house with out a garage :oops:

Future something???

Too manny irons in the fire can never be a bad thing, right?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
JapJohn said:
Oh well, just another reason to buy more tools.

I could win a Homer award with this bike, but it's not a Honda...
You need a reason to buy tools??
Not me !!

Let's hear the Story about why the Yamaha might be a candidate for the Homer Award....
We've had a scarcity of stoopidity here for the past couple of months - didn't even have a nominee for november.

Welcome to the site....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tbpmusic said:
You need a reason to buy tools??
Not me !!
Yea! If I dont have it, that is a good enough reason to go buy it.

Well here is my Homer moment, short but hard lesson learned about two strokes.

I just bought the RD had to go home as I had a bunch of stuff to do at home and planed on putting her through the paces and fine tune her when I got done with my other BS. So I didn’t get done with my stuff until midnight, perfect time to hit the road for a little spin.
Start her up do a little pre check, lights work, oil is full, tools, extra plugs are sitting on the steps next to my gloves, hop on and go!

Ha-ha weeeeeee! I’m zipping around the neighborhood at 12am waking everybody up, everything is doing fine but I start bogging down. Better get out on the road and light her up. Much better, for a little bit then she’s losing power. I’m thinking the plugs are getting fowled, better giver some more juice and keep on going, farther and farther from home.
Blub blub, dead. Huh, I’ll just pull over and change the plugs out no big deal.
So I pull over hop off and check everything out, open the seat to get my plugs & wrench…no plugs! Check my pockets, nothing!

Five miles away from home, pushed her all the way. Get home some hours latter, pissed, and as I am walking up the steps to go into the house there they are, right where I left them. Two brand new plugs. :x

Lesson learned: never leave home on a two stroke without extra plugs.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
JapJohn said:
Lesson learned: never leave home on a two stroke without extra plugs.
Well, as anyone who's ever dealt with ring-dingers knows, that's definitely a candidate for a Homer !!!!
Consider yourself nominated ....

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
On the plus side...the RD's are feather light :)
Not long after I got my XS 650 things started to go pear-shaped. Once I pushed my very heavy XS with stuck rear brake pistons up hill for 2 km's before tripping on a pavement crack and dropping it on its right side, snapping off the brake lever :evil: :evil: :evil:

Very nice example by the way. Is that a '76C ?? I just finished a '77D :D

Lee

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Lee: You are correct, '76 & it didnt feel "feather light" after the five mile push home ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts