Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jason from Indiana here! Got my endorsement last year after going through HD riding academy. I have always loved the looks of classic standard and cafe bikes. I got my first bike yesterday... 1979 CM400A with just under 13,000 miles. Cost me $800 along with a rifle on trade, but I couldn’t be happier! The Hondamatic is fun and easy to ride and everything on it works. Can’t wait to get into polishing the hard to reach spaces over the winter... I’ll be riding too much until it gets cold and snowy!

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A few more higher res pics would be welcome. You'll also need a proper Factory Service Manual. PM sent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome! I traded a Smith & Wesson manufactured Walther PPK/S for my 1976 GL1000 and can certainly say that the bike is wayyyyy more fun than the gun.
Does the bike need any work or is a full-fledged runner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies and manual! The bike runs fine so far. I really want to clean it up though... maybe even have it looked over to be sure there is nothing wrong. Only issue I have is the left parking brake lever doesn’t actually engage a brake. Only parking on level ground isn’t a problem in Indiana!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the replies and manual! The bike runs fine so far. I really want to clean it up though... maybe even have it looked over to be sure there is nothing wrong. Only issue I have is the left parking brake lever doesn’t actually engage a brake. Only parking on level ground isn’t a problem in Indiana!
I had no idea that the left hand is a parking brake with the automatic. That seems really dangerous! Think someone may have disabled it so that you don't go to pull in the clutch and go ass over earlobes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The left side parking brake lever isn’t just a pull... there’s also a button to avoid the whole ass over earlobes scenario!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Welcome and congratulations!

And uh... I'm going to be coming to or passing through IN in a few weeks. If you REALLY want to clean and polish hard to reach places, uh, I could drop off a couple bikes.

That has got to be the most dreaded and neglected thing about motorcycles for me. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Welcome and congrats ..
what was ur experience with the HD class.. my wife took it, said she learned a lot.. however, her not being the "typical HD rider".. she felt a bit out of place... that and being an inexperienced rider..

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here.
If you are not sure how long the brake linings have been on it, it would be wise to just replace them before they de-laminate and cause a tragic episode.
Also, check the age of the tires. If the tires are older than 6 years, it would also be wise to replace them as well.
Enjoy, and be safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I will definitely have the bike looked over by an experienced mechanic. I actually enjoyed the HD class here in Marion. I only made the mistake of saying I wanted a metric bike once during the two days of riding. We used the HD street 500 for practice and it was a fun little bike. I like the street 750 street rod because it feels more like a standard riding position... but looks too much like a sport biike and $8k is too much for what it is.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You won't get exiled, but you might not get agreement either... at least not from me. I'm not into sport bikes either. If the picture zoomed better, I'd be curious to see how they dealt with one of the main things I dislike about Harleys - and you mentioned it already - the forward controls and their lack of normally-located controls on at least some of their bikes. At least there's some semblance of a rear fender on it...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thats the water cooled 750, the pegs are right behind the crank shaft. More of a upright riding position on it.
You dont like forward controls

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts