Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Just a small town farm boy here from rural Saskatchewan, Canada.

A few weeks ago I picked up an '81 CM400T bike from a local kid who was moving out of the province. It seems to be in pretty good shape, but the engine was partly disassembled to replace the gaskets so I've got some learning to do. I've found some nice pics of a bike online that I'm going to try to mimick for this project.

Hoping to get some good tips and meet a few experienced hobbyists to share the journey with!

Cheers,
Hoffer

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Hoffman

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Welcome aboard! Post some pics when you get a chance

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Got any pics of it to share?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the messages! Here are some pics of what I picked up.
IMG_4981.JPG IMG_4983.JPG

I'm hoping to modernize it, very much like the bike on this page:
https://silodrome.com/honda-cm400-scrambler/

I bought the bike with the engine already removed, and found that the previous owner didn't even have a gasket installed between the cylinder - it was all gooped up with gasket maker. I've since cleaned that all up but found there are a few dowels missing - he only had two where there should have been four in two "layers" of the cylinder. Has anybody ever seen these left out before?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
My best advice would be to completely clean out any of that gasket goop from that engine, even if it means splitting the cases (which I would probably do anyway just to be sure). If any of that goop or fragments of it gets into an oil passage, the engine will be toast. Then get it running properly in stock form before venturing into a modified bike. Get to know what you have and what you'd like to change first after riding it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I bought the bike with the engine already removed, and found that the previous owner didn't even have a gasket installed between the cylinder - it was all gooped up with gasket maker. I've since cleaned that all up but found there are a few dowels missing - he only had two where there should have been four in two "layers" of the cylinder. Has anybody ever seen these left out before?
You may want to go through that engine carefully, looks like the PO didn't know what he was doing and makes me wonder what else he messed up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts