Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has used this on their bike? Good results? What size drill bit and which size coil did you use? I need to do this and just want some advice from others who have done this. Running the NGK B8ES plugs.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Try the search feature...Znabb did a nice write-up with pics.... Heli-coil size and drill bit are determined by the kit specifications.....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've always favoured the steel inserts for spark plug thread repair over the Helicoil. Proto makes them, probably other companies, too. I think SnapOn has inserts.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I personally would never use a Heli-Coil, it is truely an inferior product that will uncoil and leave the hole threadless.
I highly endorse Time-Sert thread repair kits.
They are very expensive but, they are the best I have used.
Although, I would be removing the head from the engine and be rebuilding it after doing the thread repair to the spark plug hole.
All you need is metal drillings down your cylinder bore to get trapped between the ring grooves and the rings.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
would 2nd taking the head off. Coming from a lazy inexperienced fool like me you definitely want to take the head off to do any re-threading of the spark plug holes. Or sadness shall ensue...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts