Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start, I wanted to state that I am very new to bikes but have gotten the bug for older classic bikes. So I just bought a 70 cb350 and today I tried to start it off of a battery charger/starter. I connected the terminals (black to black, red to red and also an additional terminal which I have no idea where it goes). The lights turn on and the bike is in neutral. I push the starter and all I hear is a clicking sound from the part shown in the attached picture. Can you guys help a newbie out and provide me with some guidance?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Re: Here clicking and not much else

Your charger doesn't have enough amperage to turn over the starter. You will need a battery hooked up to the system with enough amperage. The lights don't take much and that is why they come on with just the charger. The part you hear clicking is the solenoid. Do you have a battery?

·
Registered
71 Posts

Hi kennethshaw
I agree with what Don said. But my question is the kick starter missing? I would not use the electric starter until I had the bike running and starting well.
TomC in Ohio

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

dlslick said:
Your charger doesn't have enough amperage to turn over the starter. You will need a battery hooked up to the system with enough amperage. The lights don't take much and that is why they come on with just the charger. The part you hear clicking is the solenoid. Do you have a battery?
You are correct that normal, small, battery chargers will not turn the motor over but by the looks of those clamps he's got one of the larger units that should turn it over.

My suggestion is to hook up some jumper cables from a car battery or one of those emergency jump batter units (I have one and use it all the time on the bikes). If all you still hear is the clicking then check to make sure the cable to the starter is good and has a good connection.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You guys were absolutely right. I hooked up a battery and then tried to kickstart it. It took a couple tries but the bike finally turned over. It was a scary sounding bike. I almost felt like shooting it to put it out of it's misery before the neighbors called the cops. Anyways, back to today's experience. The bike died after about 20 seconds of running. Then no matter what, I couldn't kick start it again (the bike was in neutral) and the lights died too. Here is the wierd part, I squeezed the clutch, and the lights came back on and then I was able to kick start it. Is there a good reason for this? Do I even need the battery hooked up if I can kick start the bike?

So next on my agenda is to change the oil, clean the carbs, check the plugs, and look into replacing the points (whatever those are).

Thanks again for your advice guys!

·
Registered
34 Posts

the DC source ( battery or your charger ) is a primary part of the ignition system.
[attachment=0:2pyhq6ok]ignition CB.JPG[/attachment:2pyhq6ok]
no battery= no ignition :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

[email protected],

I had the new charged battery on today but still only heard the solenoid clicking when I tried to use the electric start. It would only start with the kick start. Does this point to the starter?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

The solenoid only clicking could be a few problems. Dirty or not tight battery connections or the connections on the solenoid itself. Starter brushes being worn/bad or a locked up starter. Too low battery voltage. I'm not too sure about the starter clutch itself being an issue as well??

Check your battery/solenoid connections and make sure they're clean and tight. Then check all chassis grounds as well. Clean them and re-tighten. Also check the starters electrical connections.

Anyone else have any ideas?? :?: :idea: :?: :idea:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts

The solenoids themselves go "bad" fairly often.... Just because you hear the click does NOT mean the internal switch contcts are connecting......To check IF it is the solenoid or starter motor that is bad, simply jump across the heavy solenoid terminals with a metal object... If starter spins, it's the solenoid that's bad... if not, jump directly from the starter motor terminal to the battery positive to check it...(automotive jumper cables work well).....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

As usual I overcomplicate an easy to diagnose problem.. The way I always do things.. :roll:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
34 Posts

you could do this inspection then :

1. inspect the "main" ground lead. removed-cleaned-reinstalled-protect. The cable that return electrons from battery to bike frame is as important as the positive lead.
at frame junction, remove paint, cleaned with alcohol, reconnect, add paint to protect from environment.
2. hint: a rigid battery cable have overheat and become resistive, replaced... watch your cable selection size...too small will overheat...too big, nothing will happen!
3. corrosion on battery terminals can be removed with a solution of sodium bicarbonate.

remove one component from the equation: feed directly the starter.
place negative charger lead to frame or negative battery cable.
place positive charger lead to starter positive terminal.....energized!
starter should turn ( if your source have sufficient Amp of course )

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts

I'll have to argue about cable sizing..... Excepting physical limitations, there is NO such thing as too big...with appreciably less resistance current will always flow better in a larger cable..... Other than that, Isn't your suggestion just a repeat of mine?...LOL!

·
Registered
34 Posts

66Sprint said:
I'll have to argue about cable sizing..... Excepting physical limitations, there is NO such thing as too big...with appreciably less resistance current will always flow better in a larger cable..... Other than that, Isn't your suggestion just a repeat of mine?...LOL!

your bloody right !! I have probably read too fast your post, sorry ! About the cable size too big isn't a problem, it is sometimes useless.
best resource AC43 13
here a link: http://www.not2fast.com/fabrication/wiring/3u-ch11_5.pdf

·
Registered
175 Posts

I suspect you're just not getting enough amperage to turn over the starter. your battery voltage will drop a lot when the starter is activated (battery capacity is pretty marginal for starting), so connecting an auto battery for testing in place of the bike battery (not in addition to - the amperage capacity of the two are too dissimilar and a large voltage difference could result in a cooked - or exploded - MC battery). You can find the problem by measuring voltage drop. Clip the red voltmeter lead to the battery positive post and the black lead to the hot post on the solenoid. you should have a zero reading. Activate the starter - the voltage difference should no more than tickle the needle. Next step: connect red lead to hot post of solenoid, black to load side of solenoid. you should get over 12 volts for a full charged battery (if you don't, the starter circuit is open). Hit the starter - your needle should drop to just above zero or lower. If it doesn't, you have a solenoid problem. Same can be done between the load side post and the starter hot post to check the cable and connections. A simple on-the-road test of the solenoid operation is that if your lights don't dim when you hit the start button, the solenoid isn't completing the circuit. Of course, you may have an open circuit at the starter, too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

You guys were right on. I jumped the solenoid and the bike started. So I assume it's a bad solenoid right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just curious, are my options limited to solenoids from 1970 CB350's? If these break a lot, is there something more robust that is interchangeable?

Thanks.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts

The solenoids are pretty much the same on all the Hondas of the era.... I should have one for you...

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Sorry, I posted this in your "looking for..." post before I saw this.
Since the solenoid is actuating, the contacts are probably just corroded. You should be able to open it up and burnish the contacts.
I've had to do this. It takes all of five minutes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts