Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one thing I'd really like to upgrade is the light output of my bike. The current lamp is the factory original that has not only has seen better days (reflector is shot) but the bulb is a less than impressive 35w/50w (I've got led flashlights that put out more light!) I did a search on headlight replacement here and only found a couple vague references to converting old sealed beam to H4. I did find a company called Candlepower that offers bolt in replacements for stock sealed beam lamps with an H4 bulb. (http://store.candlepower.com/ca53mohe.html) I called and the 802212 lamp listed is a replacement for Honda part 33120-333-670 which from a fitment standpoint is the light in my bike. Before I jump in and buy one has anyone done something similar? Does anyone know what the output of the alternator on a CM400C so I can do the math on loading?
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi MnBikeGuy
The CB400 Four uses that headlight. On my CB400 Four I am using a headlight from a early to mid eighty's Honda Shadow which is a little smaller in diameter but works if your main concern is lighting up the road.
On the CB400 Four going from the 35/50w bulb to an H-4 55/60W bulb makes a marginal system more marginal. I live in the country so I get away with it. If I rode in town much it would be a problem. Honda claims, I think, 156 watts for the CB400 Four Alternator. Which is OK. Except that at idle there is very little alternator output and all the current draw is going so the battery discharges quickly at idle.
I would suggest connecting a voltmeter across the battery of your CM400 and taking a ride and watching how the voltage changes during the ride. Watch were you are going as well!!!!!!
TomC in Ohio

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TomC said:
Hi MnBikeGuy
The CB400 Four uses that headlight. On my CB400 Four I am using a headlight from a early to mid eighty's Honda Shadow which is a little smaller in diameter but works if your main concern is lighting up the road.
On the CB400 Four going from the 35/50w bulb to an H-4 55/60W bulb makes a marginal system more marginal. I live in the country so I get away with it. If I rode in town much it would be a problem. Honda claims, I think, 156 watts for the CB400 Four Alternator. Which is OK. Except that at idle there is very little alternator output and all the current draw is going so the battery discharges quickly at idle.
I would suggest connecting a voltmeter across the battery of your CM400 and taking a ride and watching how the voltage changes during the ride. Watch were you are going as well!!!!!!
TomC in Ohio
Sounds good. I'll give that a whirl and see what kind of voltage drop I get.
m

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MnBikeGuy said:
The one thing I'd really like to upgrade is the light output of my bike. The current lamp is the factory original that has not only has seen better days (reflector is shot) but the bulb is a less than impressive 35w/50w (I've got led flashlights that put out more light!) I did a search on headlight replacement here and only found a couple vague references to converting old sealed beam to H4. I did find a company called Candlepower that offers bolt in replacements for stock sealed beam lamps with an H4 bulb. (http://store.candlepower.com/ca53mohe.html) I called and the 802212 lamp listed is a replacement for Honda part 33120-333-670 which from a fitment standpoint is the light in my bike. Before I jump in and buy one has anyone done something similar? Does anyone know what the output of the alternator on a CM400C so I can do the math on loading?
Thanks for any input!
Thought I'd go ahead and update this post. I did go ahead and purchase the above light. It came well packaged and fit pretty much exactly like it was suppose to. I did have to cut a little of their universal mounting bracket to allow the light to be aimed correctly but nothing major.
As for the electrical systems ability to handle the increased draw, I'm quite pleased to say that at the spec idle speed of 1250 my alternator is pumping out a lovely 12.8 volts! Better yet, I've got 55w of halogen power lighting my way! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, if you are planning to change your headlight make sure that you choose the bulb that can give you a better light. I am using an HID light bulb because it is brighter than the halogen. But now I am planning to change it again with a LED light bulb.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I would like to ask MnBikeGuy if that candle power housing is about the same depth as the stock light? With all the cables in the light bucket, the stock light is a tight-ish fit, Does the candle power fit in your housing pretty good?

I'm pretty sick of the bad lighting from the stock non halogen unit.

J.A

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I have the 6 3/8" Candlepower lamp in my Hawk and yes, it is a huge upgrade over the stock sealed beam lamp. The only issue I had with install was it's slightly smaller in diameter than the stock lamp so you need something around it so it doesn't look funny and maybe keeps out water. It also took a bit of tweaking to get the lamp to slide into the holes in the stock bucket.

Maybe someone else can chime in here too with this...the low beam output of the Candlepower is great but the high beam stretches the output too much. I think I have the 60/55w bulb in mine and it's just not enough for high beams. Haven't decided whether to try a better halogen bulb or do an HID conversion.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Travelvice said:
@MnBikeGuy --

Howdy. Thanks for the great info in the original post (reference #, etc).

So, it has been ages since you did this upgrade... if you remember, did you notice much of a difference between the stock and the replacement that you purchased? Color? Strength?

[ a direct link to the search results for that reference number ]

Cheers!
Huge difference in lighting without much difference in color. Perhaps a bit more white if anything. My assessment is that the gain in output was as much due to improved reflector and glass as increase in power. The fitment was pretty much direct replacement with some minor modification to the universal bracket. Perhaps a fraction deeper but by carefully routing wiring in the bucket the light was accommodated with no problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank for your replies all.

Actually, as chance would have it, I decided to purchase this thing (w/ the 60/55W blub) earlier in the week and installed it this evening (delivered this afternoon).

I was rather disappointed that the headlight is indeed smaller than the housing for it. I'm genuinely concerned that water is going to enter into the electronics cluster(f**k) and cause a problem.

I suppose I was also expecting a whiter colored, more contemporary light from this bulb. It's almost exactly the same shade of yellow as the stock light. Perhaps this can be remedied in the future by changing out the bulb. If so, this flexibility is probably the strong point of this headlight.

Below are some before and after images. Note the new headlight has a stronger, more rectangular output -- but certainly nothing that's going to make you jump from excitement the first time you turn it on.

Without question one of the worst experiences I've had with this bike has been trying to cram this bloody headlight into it. I must've spent 90 minutes moving cables and swearing while dripping sweat in the Florida heat. Just miserable.

The adjustment screw on the side of the cover is now absent, as it has now no home (or space available).

I swear I was about to send this thing back just before I finally got it mounted. I'm still concerned about water entering into the headlight bucket, though.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really don't think you need to fear water. The headlight bucket was never designed to be sealed and the electrical connectors within are all-weather similar to what is found in most cars. Only thing that would present a problem is if you pressure washed them. if worried you can seal them further with dielectric grease.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
About it being standard halogen color, halogen doesn't burn as hot as xenon can. So to get a blue(ish) look with halogen the bulb needs a color filter that actually reduces output.

Out of curiosity last night, since I hadn't got around to it I tried a new bulb in the CP lamp, a Sylvania 60w Silverstar. Zero difference in illumination. Having a deer jump out again a little too close for comfort has resolved me to do the stupid HID conversion despite my reservations about the kits being made in China.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is there a consensus here that placing a Xenon bulb in this fellow is a bad idea?

EDIT: I'm reading about Wagner bp1210 H4 bulbs (80/100W)... seems to be many discussions regarding their use as a bright white colored H4.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Travelvice said:
Is there a consensus here that placing a Xenon bulb in this fellow is a bad idea?

EDIT: I'm reading about Wagner bp1210 H4 bulbs (80/100W)... seems to be many discussions regarding their use as a bright white colored H4.
The stator on these doesn't deliver enough juice to run an 80/100w. Would either pop the fuse or quickly deplete the battery.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Travelvice said:
If you're still here, I did finally get around to installing a HID kit, this kit from ebay. These are generally 35w bulbs so a Hawk stator has no trouble with the power.

The ballast (the flat box) and whatever is in the box labeled 23000v would not fit inside the stock bucket, so I ended up placing the ballast between the bucket and the instrument panel, with the box hanging out of the back of the bucket. With the Candlepower lamp, the low beam (the HID xenon) light output is fantastic, although after testing it I had to aim the light lower than a halogen to not blind oncoming cars. Also, while you lose some light ouput with 8000k vs. 6000k, I feel that the slight blue hue to 8000k is more prominent in daylight which is good for safety.

My only real complaint is that since these kits use a HID xenon for low and a halogen for high, you're still stuck with crummy high beams. My night vision isn't the best but it feels like the light scatters way too much to see potential hazards on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MnBikeGuy said:
Thanks for any input!
I always use small led flashlights in my bike to make a impressive outlook.
It can be use as my bike's back up lights as well.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts