Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am in the final stage of rebuilding a cb450 K5. I want to know if the headlight is working without the engine running.
That will explain the malfunction at this moment. Hopefully next week the engine is ready to run but I like to have the electric parts running in front of that. Thank you for your answer and help.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
If you have the headlight off/low/hi switch and the run/stop switch connected, put the run/stop switch in stop (to keep the coils from heating), turn the key on, then move the headlight switch to low then high; the correct filament should light, and not drain the battery much if you don't leave the lights on long. This is easier if you point the headlight at a reflective surface.

If you want to test it before you install it, just connect the green wire to one of the battery terminals, and the white or blue wire to the other; again, one filament should light for the white, and one for the blue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the headlight off/low/hi switch and the run/stop switch connected, put the run/stop switch in stop (to keep the coils from heating), turn the key on, then move the headlight switch to low then high; the correct filament should light, and not drain the battery much if you don't leave the lights on long. This is easier if you point the headlight at a reflective surface.

If you want to test it before you install it, just connect the green wire to one of the battery terminals, and the white or blue wire to the other; again, one filament should light for the white, and one for the blue.
Oke, this is a more detailed answer, thank you!my question different asked, are the lights working on the battery, or only on the generator?( like the honda dream) the answers is as you mentioned a yes.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Lost in translation, I guess. I thought you wanted to test the lights with the engine stopped. Now I see you meant that the lights are not working with the engine stopped. English is fun that way.:rolleyes:

You might want to find a service manual, which has the wiring diagrams included; most important tool one may have, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Just to confirm, the headlight works off the battery, the engine does not need to be running.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Everything runs off the battery, and the running engine keeps it charged.
Yes, his reply was vague so I wanted to clarify. Bad wording on my part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1D033B84-8016-4125-8BA9-289829B02B49.jpg
Thank you guy’s, tomorrow I hope to finish the electric parts, then only the carbs are remaining before I can try to start this beautiful baby!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts