Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just picked up a 1980 cb400t and I am having some electrical issues I was told about when I bought the old girl. My headlight works occasionally. I thought it was the fuse box there are only 3 fuses 15amp for the main and two 7 amp one for headlight one for tail. my box had some white almost looked like short on one side of the headlight fuse. I just got my new/used fuse box. put it in and the same mostly not working.
Now while I had the old box in I put some dielectric grease on the fuse and the light worked and then did not work. I am sure it's a connection. I am also having a little issue with the starter button. very touchy. I initally thought it was the starter so I put in a new/used one on and same issue. it works but needs light tough. I have not gotten in to the handlebar to see about the connection at the starter button if there is corrosion. I think the issues might be connected. I did take the headlight off and checked the connection from the starter side to the harness. there was a little corrosion so I cleaned connections and greased those.

I am not sure where to go to next. bike runs great blinkers work tail light works I know the bulb is not blown. I am use to yamaha's not honda's so a little at a loss.

any help is much appreciated

Mortikan

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
I believe the 400's use a dual switch for starting that opens (shuts off) the headlight circuit simultaneously with closing (turning on) the power to the solenoid....Since they "share" a common power feed wire, it is likely the problem is bad/dirty contacts within that switch.... Especially, as you say yours is "touchy"..... I'm basing this on a similar circumstance with another Honda I had.....It could also be any connection in/to that "shared" black wire......
I'd take apart the "spare" and clean it up for starters...(pun intended)..... :D Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thanks for the fast reply. I was thinking that. I will do it tonight and see what happens

thanks again

Mortikan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dirty connections it was in the switch.

thanks again

I guess I am going to have to buy a manual now. I am thinking it might need some maint soon. it's got 27k on it.

Cheers Mortikan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe the 400's use a dual switch for starting that opens (shuts off) the headlight circuit simultaneously with closing (turning on) the power to the solenoid....Since they "share" a common power feed wire, it is likely the problem is bad/dirty contacts within that switch.... Especially, as you say yours is "touchy"..... I'm basing this on a similar circumstance with another Honda I had.....It could also be any connection in/to that "shared" black wire......
I'd take apart the "spare" and clean it up for starters...(pun intended)..... :D Steve
What does this "dual switch" look like Steve? I'm having this same issue. Changed the fuse, and the headlight worked when I turned the bike on. Once I started it up, the light went out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts