Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having trouble figuring out this issue with my headlight bulb going out. I'm using a Narva 35w/35w bulb (from common motor) in an aftermarket headlight assembly. I made a wiring harness from scratch and so far have run into no issues other than this:

I'm out riding one night, turn onto a country road, switch on my high beam and suddenly- darkness! I pulled over to the side of the road and noticed my low beam was still working so I switched it on and turned back towards town. Within a few seconds the low beam burned out too. I had been using this bulb for only a couple weeks. The headlight operated fine for several rides, some short some long, high speeds/high revs no issues.

I test my R/R (combo unit from sparck moto) with a multimeter and verify that it's working. I also install a couple rubber washers at the headlight mounts to absorb a little vibration in case that's what put the lights out. Install a new bulb (same Narva 35w/35w) and ride the bike as normal. All seems to be going well for another couple weeks, took the bike on good long runs on old highways with the light on all the while. High beam, low beam, working splendidly. Then on one ride it happens again. I think this time the low beam went out first, and the high managed to stay on for a few miles before burning out.

So now I'm scratching my head. It seems odd that the bulb burns out when it does. I'd think if it were a wiring issue it would happen instantly when the power is switched on, or at high revs, or after being run all day, but it works fine through all of that and it doesn't seem like anything in particular is happening when it does go out. The R/R is capping off the voltage when it's supposed to. Is there anything else I could check that might be causing the burnt out bulbs? Or do I just need to start buying these things by the pallet?

IMG_7325.jpg

Edit: The wiring run for the headlight is as follows: Battery > Ignition Switch > RH Controls (On/Off) > LH Controls (LO/HI) > Headlight. Ground connections look good.

I also noticed that I had the HB wire from the headlight connecting with the LB wire from the LH controls, and vise versa, but I didn't correct it because I can't think of it making any difference other than having to remember that it's actually on low when switched to high and high when switched to low. Now I'm wondering if there's something I'm not thinking of.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
I'm having trouble figuring out this issue with my headlight bulb going out. I'm using a Narva 35w/35w bulb (from common motor) in an aftermarket headlight assembly. I made a wiring harness from scratch and so far have run into no issues other than this:

I'm out riding one night, turn onto a country road, switch on my high beam and suddenly- darkness! I pulled over to the side of the road and noticed my low beam was still working so I switched it on and turned back towards town. Within a few seconds the low beam burned out too. I had been using this bulb for only a couple weeks. The headlight operated fine for several rides, some short some long, high speeds/high revs no issues.

I test my R/R (combo unit from sparck moto) with a multimeter and verify that it's working. I also install a couple rubber washers at the headlight mounts to absorb a little vibration in case that's what put the lights out. Install a new bulb (same Narva 35w/35w) and ride the bike as normal. All seems to be going well for another couple weeks, took the bike on good long runs on old highways with the light on all the while. High beam, low beam, working splendidly. Then on one ride it happens again. I think this time the low beam went out first, and the high managed to stay on for a few miles before burning out.

So now I'm scratching my head. It seems odd that the bulb burns out when it does. I'd think if it were a wiring issue it would happen instantly when the power is switched on, or at high revs, or after being run all day, but it works fine through all of that and it doesn't seem like anything in particular is happening when it does go out. The R/R is capping off the voltage when it's supposed to. Is there anything else I could check that might be causing the burnt out bulbs? Or do I just need to start buying these things by the pallet?

View attachment 210905

Edit: The wiring run for the headlight is as follows: Battery > Ignition Switch > RH Controls (On/Off) > LH Controls (LO/HI) > Headlight. Ground connections look good.

I also noticed that I had the HB wire from the headlight connecting with the LB wire from the LH controls, and vise versa, but I didn't correct it because I can't think of it making any difference other than having to remember that it's actually on low when switched to high and high when switched to low. Now I'm wondering if there's something I'm not thinking of.
I had 3 35w bulbs go pretty quickly. I think the vibration does them in. I switched to an h4 led and no issues no. My 18w led draws less power and is brighter than the 35/35 watt halogens.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
If 12 volts, get rid of the bulb and switch to an LED H4 type bulb. I have an extra one for sale cheap on this site. They are twice as bright as the 35 watt incandescent lamp you are using plus requires less current allowing more charging capacity for your battery.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I've had that same 35/35 H4 bulb in mine for about two and a half years, a couple thousand miles, with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
I've had that same 35/35 H4 bulb in mine for about two and a half years, a couple thousand miles, with no problems.
I think the brand bulb might make the difference. The first one of mine blew out in 5 minutes of riding. My second one lasted a week. The last one was shortlisted too. 2 were same vendor and looked poorly constructed. The led is 3 years old. I would recommend led h4 with passive heatsink. Mine has a fan and I expect that to fail before the lamp itseld.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you put an inline fuse before the light?
Yeah I could definitely wire one in. But if the R/R is working can't I rule out the light getting too much amperage? I'm thinking it must be vibrations still if only because the light lasts as long as it does. If it were a wiring issue it seems the light would go out sooner.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
What is the voltage, measured at the bulb socket, with the light turned on and the motor running?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This seems obvious but could I get confirmation I'm installing this bulb correctly?

First it is put in place according to the provisions of the lens housing. I had to grind off a small section to fit the 35w/35w. (Came with something like 55w/60w) The bulb is then secured by the wire latch. At this point the bulb is still able to rattle back and forth a few mm.
IMG_7549.jpg

Next I put this rubber cap over the back.
IMG_7550.jpg

Last I plug in the socket which secures the bulb pretty well but still allows slight movement.
IMG_7551.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts